1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do we think of charcoal brown suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by J. Cogburn, Feb 14, 2013.

1. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Thinking about commissioning one for my fall rotation. One would think it would work for me (silver/grey hair, well tanned complexion), but one rarely if ever sees this color in the wild and the color is seldom discussed here.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Is this a solid?

I googled it and only came up with stripes and this.

3. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Really dark shades of brown are extremely hard to get right, in my experience. They easily take on a manurial/dungy quality, which does no favors to your complexion.

4. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Contemplating a solid with subtle texture (say, a pick & pick). I've seen a charcoal brown at my tailor's in a suit he was doing up for a client. It was more grey than brown. In fact, it was hard to detect the brown unless it was in the sun and contrasted with a true grey. But ... I'm sure there are different tones one can choose that highlight the brown a bit more.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. bertie

bertie Senior member

I have a very dark brown fresco (via Slewfoot) and a brown flannel chalkstripe. I also have greyish hair and a darker complexion. I really like them both and wear often (in season). I just bought some vintage John Hardy pinstripe/heringbone in brown and will have that made up later this year. I also have 4 brown odd jackets.

6. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

7. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Check the WAYWRN thread today - I have posted photos of my dark brown track stripe three-piece flannel suit. It may give you some idea as to the final appearance of a charcoal brown suit (though my coloring and the OP's are quite different).

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

I had one made up last year. Dark brown with black nailhead. Looks great with blue or pink. It's in my regular rotation

Also have a Brooks Bros/Zegna brown flannel three piece that's in my winter rotation.

9. Flake

Flake Senior member

By the way, my browns look great with chestnut shoes.