• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do we think of Alejandro Jodorowsky here on SF?

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
I personally love him. He has achieved a sort of sacredness with "˜El Topo' and "˜The Holy Mountain' that no other film/s has achieved. His are films with a lyrical collection of philosophies, religions, beliefs, ideas etc. He also comes across as an extremely intelligent man with something to say in so many different ways. His version of family constellation therapy, the tarot readings, his writing - are all interesting artistic endeavors. Does anyone else here echo these sentiments? Anyone strongly dislike him and/or his films?

mps23

Reaction score
the imagery of his films are beautifully artistic and surreal, but sometimes his films are a bit too esoteric. i still really enjoy his films every once in a while - especially el topo.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most part, Jodorowsky flies under the SF radar. He was mentioned once or twice in the spring 2008 cinema thread and prior to that the only mention I recall was my brief 2006 nod to El Topo http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=60. I remember watching El Topo at La Jolla's long-gone art cinema, Unicorn Theater, upon its release in 1971.

Otherwise I've only seen Tusk and Santa Sangre. The Tusk story of a girl having some sort of common final point in life with an elephant was novel. The blood aspect of Santa Sangre was a little overwhelming for me.

For me there is point in films where some filmmakers are not as accessible as I would like. Jodorowsky's work is on the far side of that point. The more his imagination soars into the realm of teaching by poking into my unconscious mind, the more confused I become.

Just consider me a little dense when it comes to understanding exactly where he's coming from. Nevertheless, Jodorowsky is right up there with Pasolini when it comes to providing something for me to puzzle over. All together I remain confused by and amused with the three Jodorowsky films I've seen.

___

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
The one I enjoyed and remember best is "Greasers Palace". The image of Christ in a Zoot Suit is still clear in my mind.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StylenotFashion
The one I enjoyed and remember best is "Greasers Palace". The image of Christ in a Zoot Suit is still clear in my mind.

That is Downey Snr. Not Jodorowsky. Certain parts feel like a parody of ‘El Topo’.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
On Baron's "recommendation" I watched "Holy Mountain" a few months ago. I felt like it was banging me on the head with the "strange" and the "perverse" to the point that it was almost unwatchable as much as I wanted to pay attention to the symbolism. I'd see "El Topo" as many seem to have enjoyed it but I'd be afraid to see more of the same.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
On Baron's "recommendation" I watched "Holy Mountain" a few months ago. I felt like it was banging me on the head with the "strange" and the "perverse" to the point that it was almost unwatchable as much as I wanted to pay attention to the symbolism.

I'd see "El Topo" as many seem to have enjoyed it but I'd be afraid to see more of the same.

I find that "˜The Holy Mountain' distances me as the viewer. I feel much more involved with "˜El Topo'. It is like my own personal cleansing process has taken place during the course of the film. See it.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Recently saw Fando y Lis (1968), one of his earlier films and it was excellent. All the usual Jodorowsky trademarks and signatures are there but made a strong impression on me. Preferred it to El Topo, Santa sangre, Holy Mountain.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I felt like it was banging me on the head with the "strange" and the "perverse" to the point that it was almost unwatchable

I got that just from watching a trailer on youtube...

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zubberah
Recently saw Fando y Lis (1968), one of his earlier films and it was excellent. All the usual Jodorowsky trademarks and signatures are there but made a strong impression on me. Preferred it to El Topo, Santa sangre, Holy Mountain.

It's a bit of a rework of Fernando Arrabal's play. He is a man that deserves attention. "˜I Will Walk like a Crazy Horse' is the one to see IMO. I've been reading his plays lately.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I saw Santa Sangre when it was in theatres and always thought Jodorowsky excelled in creating really rich visuals. Great imagery, even if everything else going around it is only so-so. His films are the type that you can cut into a trailer that is so visually intriguing you feel like you need to see the movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads