What do we have better in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Toiletduck, Jul 14, 2006.

1. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Senior member

Dont forget the overpriced Philippinos in Wanchai!

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

the word 'filipino' has been widely misspelled. and i know where the poster is going to.

and being someone who lives in the philippines, and having a lot of filipino friends (there is no ethnic filipino as they can trace their lineages to malaysia and indonesia) i certainly feel bad for filipinos who have to work far away from their families to give their kids a better future. i have to admit this is a classic case of calling the kettle black as i was thrashed by another member in the burberry/midwest thread, but then again i do not use a word that is used to call a whole ethnic group as an implied term for whores, right?

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I never understood why Filipino is spelled the way it is. Is it perhaps, a form of some distance from its original namesake, King Phillip of Spain?

4. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i dont think this is the right forum to say these things and i 100% argee with acidicboy with his comments!

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I never understood why Filipino is spelled the way it is. Is it perhaps, a form of some distance from its original namesake, King Phillip of Spain?

the philippines was so named by ferdinand magellan when he 'discovered' it (NOT TRUE, though since chinese traders have established trade with different tribes long before the spanish set foot) for his beneficiary king philip (sp?) or felipe in spanish. the term used 'filipinas' and only became 'philippines' i would assume when the country was a territory of the united states during the spanish-american war.

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I get my white T's from Giodarno/U2. They're pretty good value, particularly on sale.

There are a few 'HK' brands that are nothing to write home about eg Cour Carre, Playlord. Sizes in HK can be a bit difficult - I'm fairly average UK-wise: size 9 shoes, 41R suits but this is considered pretty big in HK.

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I haven't been to Wan Chai in ages, but aren't there girls/women/boys from all over there?

Filipinos have it rough. HK is one of the better places, though. Some who get sent to rural households in Taiwan, for example, are grossly overworked and sexually abused. ANd unlike HK, which has droves of foreign workers in which one might find help or simply community, there they are largely alone.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I haven't been to Wan Chai in ages, but aren't there girls/women/boys from all over there?

Filipinos have it rough. HK is one of the better places, though. Some who get sent to rural households in Taiwan, for example, are grossly overworked and sexually abused. ANd unlike HK, which has droves of foreign workers in which one might find help or simply community, there they are largely alone.

apparently one of the highest numbers of filipinos migrating for work is in italy. i hope some of them will learn to make neapolitan suits and they come home and set up shop! [​IMG]

carre cour and playlord (what a name!) are more like cheaper and smaller versions of express or br.

and hanging out in lkf at night during world cup season, with dark beer in hand was tops, too! [​IMG]

9. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

also for casuals you have got u2 and bosini great stuff and cheap too

toiletduck where across the boader (assuming shenzhen) can you get cheap cufflinks???

I'm not sure. I saw that someone in another post showed his USD$8 cuff-links from SZ...I really want to go up there and get some!!!

10. luk-cha

I'm not sure. I saw that someone in another post showed his USD$8 cuff-links from SZ...I really want to go up there and get some!!!

can you remember that link as i live in sz aswell ashk so if you can findout where i will have a look for you!![​IMG]

11. luk-cha

can you remember that link as i live in sz aswell ashk so if you can findout where i will have a look for you!![​IMG]
    that way you wont have wasted a trip up there!

12. swooc

swooc Senior member

last time my bro went to hk i asked him to get me some lacoste polos. He ended up buying crocodile polos :p.

13. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

14. luk-cha

last time my bro went to hk i asked him to get me some lacoste polos. He ended up buying crocodile polos :p.

they are owned by the same parent co. so basically the same brand thats why the logo is the same and not against any copy right infringements!

15. luk-cha