1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do people without a college education do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by drake, Mar 16, 2008.

1. balder

balder Well-Known Member

I'm with globetrotter, some of these remarks are incredible.

On the 'my mate dropped out of college and is now a millionaire' side of things:

I know a bloke who was only in education until he was 14 and them emmigrated to Britain to escape the Nazis.

He arrived with nothing in his pocket and borrowed enough money to but an old hand-cart and went around collecting rags and scrap metal.

Do you know what he is worth today?

Nothing, and he still owes for the handcart.

Plenty of people who go to college never make a penny, as do plenty of those who don't.

So what?

I never look down my nose at anyone in an honest job. They virtually all need doing and the real heroes are those who act lawfully and morally when it is at times easier not to.

Damn it, there goes my coffee all over me and the keyboard again!![​IMG]

2. chiral

chiral Senior member

Just to reiterate what many people have already said, but graduating from college isn't a prerequisite for success or living a happy life.

My own personal anecdote is my brother, who dropped out of college and was hired by the Boston Globe as a designer, and who now has his own design firm. He makes way more money than I ever will in academia, with about 9 years less education. But it's not really about money, it's about what makes you happy. He loves design, and I love geochemistry. It works out.

3. repressedm

repressedm Senior member

I have the opposite problem as you, brandon. Tell me how to make entrepreneurship, instead of more education, the default. What kind of companies have you started?

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I have the opposite problem as you, brandon. Tell me how to make entrepreneurship, instead of more education, the default. What kind of companies have you started?

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=707185

5. novqilin

novqilin Senior member

I dropped out of college after a company I had started was acquired. I'm doing well, but thinking about going back just for the educational experience and camaraderie. The problem is, every time I think about going back and applying and getting accepted and such... I start working on another company.

I'm also a new member here and am looking forward to conversing with everyone as time goes on!

so this is the legendary brandonc ...

6. justblaze9

justblaze9 Active Member

its not about degrees its about experience that matters [​IMG]