• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do Italian men wear?

letsgofire

Reaction score
Italians - and Europeans in general - have fewer clothes than Americans but they tend to be nicer and fit better. I would just get some menswear basics here and buy the rest once you get there once you see how things are firsthand.

It's hard to make some generalizations but I'll try based on my experience. The 'No's' are somewhat easier than the 'Yes's'. No graphic t-shirts or shirts with words on them. They don't really wear our sneakers...they do sometimes wear dressier sneakers (think Common Projects brand and similar). Baseball hats are not common. Baggy clothing in general, especially loose workout clothing-looking stuff, is also not common. No clothing with logos of your favorite sports team. Get a leather work bag to carry a laptop or other things in. In Italy, black shoes are for business. Brown is casual. (this is somewhat changing).

The 'look' - to me at least - is more fitted and slim fit than Americans are used to. Think H&M and Zara instead of Gap or Abercrombie. You might be a good candidate for fast fashion places like this given your circumstance.

I would get a few pairs of quality shoes, a navy blazer, off-white and stone/tan chinos, white and blue OCBDs, a decent watch and some in-style sunglasses. That's going to cover you for most of the dressier situations.

mich486

Reaction score
Italian here. If you really want to dress like “italian men” I think Brunello Cucinelli style embodies the average 21st century Italian way of dressing to perfection.

(Cucinelli is obviously stupid expensive but their lookbooks are worth having a look if that’s what you aspire for)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads