• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I wear with my new tan/sand suede loafers?

Andrman

Reaction score
Hi everyone - been browsing here for a while and finally have a question for my first post. I got these Cole Haan loafers on Gilt Group. I know other brands are considered better but hey they were $100. These are my first pair of Cole Haan; it included a card about their reconditioning program. I'm glad to see they can be re-soled. Any idea if that's standard for this brand or did I get lucky picking this model?

Anyway, I'm mostly concerned about what pant colors I can get away with on these shoes. I'd like to wear them both casually and to work (business casual). For casual I know they'd go great with jeans, so I'm mostly curious on what I can wear with work pants. I'll be wearing socks most of the time too, not really sure what direction I should go there either.

I don't know if these would be considered "tan" or "sand" colored so I included a picture of my first attempt #1. At least we can all see what I'm talking about.

And what about a belt? Is regular brown leather okay? I've never seen a suede belt, that I can think of...
Attachment 61558

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrman
Hi everyone - been browsing here for a while and finally have a question for my first post. I got these Cole Haan loafers on Gilt Group. I know other brands are considered better but hey they were $100. These are my first pair of Cole Haan; it included a card about their reconditioning program. I'm glad to see they can be re-soled. Any idea if that's standard for this brand or did I get lucky picking this model?

Anyway, I'm mostly concerned about what pant colors I can get away with on these shoes. I'd like to wear them both casually and to work (business casual). For casual I know they'd go great with jeans, so I'm mostly curious on what I can wear with work pants. I'll be wearing socks most of the time too, not really sure what direction I should go there either.

I don't know if these would be considered "tan" or "sand" colored so I included a picture of my first attempt #1. At least we can all see what I'm talking about.

And what about a belt? Is regular brown leather okay? I've never seen a suede belt, that I can think of...
Attachment 61558

Whilst it is not normal to buy shoes before the rest of your wardrobe, jeans. chinos etc are fine. They would probably go with most colours in an informal context although I accept some will argue about that.

Belts - brown is fine.

presence

Reaction score
Those are casual light color shoes. Wear them almost excsuviley in the day time. Stay away from dark colors. Denim jeans (medium to light color), khakis, linens, chinos are the perfect combinations. You can't go wrong with browns, oranges, rust, or more oatmeal pants or shirts.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What presence said and avoid black and navy pants. You can also wear them with shorts.
Welcome to Styleforum and congratulations on your purchase.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised you folks are recommending light chinos / khakis . IMO you want more contrast...not tan shoes and khaki pants

StLouisGuy

Reaction score
I would love to hear some more responses to this question, because I was wondering myself after purchasing the shoes below. I haven't tried them on with pants yet, but I was thinking a mid to light khaki, grey and maybe even navy. Thoughts?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my dirty bucks, which are essentially the same color, with just about everything not made of wool (any wool trousers would be too formal). Jeans, and khakis or other casual (linen) pants in tan, cream, olive, and navy. Just about anything that's not gray or black, really. And yeah, a brown belt is fine.

Last edited:

Mariooo

Reaction score

Surprised you folks are recommending light chinos / khakis . IMO you want more contrast...not tan shoes and khaki pants

I like wearing similar colored suede loafers/mocassins with lightweight chinos for example in a light blue just as his shirt, in cream, or basically almost any pastel color pants... But then again that's pure leisure/hot summer wear and not business casual :D
I guess his loafers are a bit more sturdier than mine

I wouldn't wear khakis, but any chinos which provide a bit of contrast should be fine IMHO

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would love to hear some more responses to this question, because I was wondering myself after purchasing the shoes below. I haven't tried them on with pants yet, but I was thinking a mid to light khaki, grey and maybe even navy. Thoughts?

It remains normal to buy shoes AFTER other elements of the wardrobe as suggested in the second post. Nothing has changed in the 18 months since this thread was created either that consideration or to change the suggestions already made..

Last edited:

SMatthews

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I also agree with presence, light colored shoes/trousers are more appropriate to wear during the daytime.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka