What do I order at a bar if I can't drink?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Jl24, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Jl24

Jl24 Senior member

This sounds stupid, but what should I order at a bar if I can't handle alcohol? I want to go to a bar to socialize and meet girls, but the slightest bit of alcohol kills me.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

OJ and Seltzer.

Cranberry juice.

Sharps!

3. sam

sam Senior member

Tonic and lime. It tastes just like a gin and tonic.

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Roy Rogers. It's the manliest way of asking for a cherry coke. Most bartenders know the name but I'm not sure how many girls these days do.

5. quevola

quevola Senior member

After 3 alcoholic beverages, I'm usually good to go. After that I just order diet Cokes. Whatever you do don't order a Shirley Temple if you're looking to get laid. [​IMG]

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

ginger ale with a dash of coke - looks like a wiskey soda.

7. Jared

Jared Senior member

A cocktail lounge I used to frequent would make up pitchers of fresh fruit punch every night. It was different every time and always delicious. I remember one of my friends always got a glass of that for his last drink of the night even when he was drinking hard stuff.

Virgin caesars are good if you're looking for something with a bit of complexity to it.

8. wpdoyle

wpdoyle Member

Tonic and lime. It tastes just like a gin and tonic.
    I know it's similar, but my non-alcoholic drink of choice is club soda or seltzer with lime. I'm not a fan of quinine sans gin. [​IMG]

9. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

If you don't drink, that's your business, and you don't need to be ashamed to just ask for a straight glass of soda or juice. Any decent bar should at least stock Sprite, Coke, soda water, tonic, orange juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, and possibly grapefruit juice. So basically any of those or any combination of those is what you should expect to choose from.

I'd also advise that if you plan on hanging out for a while or becoming a regular at any bar, it is definitely a good idea to visibly tip well on your drink orders, and perhaps tip on each refill you get. Not drinking alchohol is not a big deal at all, but there's a big difference between being known as "that nice guy who likes hanging out and meeting people and having a glass of soda since he can't drink" and "that cheapskate who sits alone for hours sucking down free refills and trolling for girls while taking up space that could be occupied by higher spending customers."

10. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

Bottled water is also readily available at most bars, and is another good option. If you're not drinking (and there are plenty of good reasons not to), there's no reason to be ashamed. IMO you shouldn't have to order a mocktail to make it look like you're drinking; the people you're with will find out anyway.

And aybojs' point on tipping well is excellent advice. A couple of extra bucks and the bartenders will take good care of you.

11. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I always thought that the best thing to do at a bar if you don't want alcohol and don't want to look like a total puss or a 12 year old kid is to order a club soda.

12. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

designated driver

I don't drink every time I am at a bar, esp. if I am driving. It's not that deep, Kids.

13. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Don't go to bars if you don't drink.

Kidding, of course. Club soda might be a good idea.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Sex on the beach sans the sex

safe sex on the beach..

if you want to order something , have the bartender put water in a shot glass. it looks and smells like vodka.