1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do I need to know about suede shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bobdobalina, Mar 3, 2008.

1. element02

element02 Senior member

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I've got a paif of LE AS chukkas that I want to protect. Would there be any discolouration or ill effects if I use the Kiwi suede protector?

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

You might see a slight darkening.

3. element02

element02 Senior member

Would it be patchy or an even darkening?

4. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Depends on if you application is patchy or even [​IMG]

Like using spray paint, you want to make quick, even strokes and put on a thin coat. A few thin coats are better than a heavy, uneven application.

5. element02

element02 Senior member

Like using spray paint, you want to make quick, even strokes and put on a thin coat. A few thin coats are better than a heavy, uneven application.

Thanks crazyquik.

What is the best protectant?

6. Cobblestone

Cobblestone Member

As long as you use a repellent on a regular basis, and use a suede brush to keep the nap up, your suede will last for years. They also make suede renevators with color to add in case the color fades. The best products are collonil shoe care or Urad Products.

7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Saphir makes a cleaning solution, I kid you not when I say it's a miracle. I took my suede oxfords in to a local cobbler for cleaning after some grease was spilled on them and a suede eraser had proved fruitless. He told me that there was nothing I could do. On a whim and someone here's recommendation, I tried the Saphir cleaner; two easy applications, and they looked brand new.
    Were they the ones recommended on this page? http://www.valmour.fr/advices/removi...-from-shoes,34

8. srivats

srivats Senior member

What would you recommend for a good spray protector?

What brand of spray protector do you recommend? Do they all do the same thing, or do some protect, some waterproof, etc.? Does the spray discolor lighter-colored suede?

Allen Edmonds makes a good silicone-free spray that costs $9 (shipping is free if you live in the US). I haven't found anything better than this.

9. srivats

srivats Senior member

Well, it would seem this is the place to ask about suede shoes. I offered a pair of Tramezzas up for sale the other day, and later withdrew them, mostly because I really, really like them. Enough in fact that I'm willing to suffer for a while with a right shoe that is a bit too tight. Now on to my question. In the pics below you can see small spot on the vamp of the left shoe. Can anyone tell if this is a "bald spot" or some kind of stain that could be removed.

That is a bald spot ... and its quite small, I did not see it on the first pic till you pointed it out. Don't worry about it, it just adds to the character of the shoe.

My suede wingtips have something like this where they have creased (happened after wearing them quite a bit). It doesn't take anything away from the shoe though ... here is a pic, the "line" you see on the left shoe is the balding. I don't worry about it at all. The right shoe also seems to be developing some of the same where it is creasing ... however, note that I wear these a LOT, and they are not really good suede.

[​IMG]

Tom (LeatherSoul) posted a pair of his well worn alden suede NSTs on AAAC and they are rockin' with all the wear. This is how I want my suede shoes to look, well loved and well taken care of. I have read that Alden uses the top manufacturer of suede ...

AAAC link:http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/F...postcount=5696

Tom's NSTs:

[​IMG]

10. Tomboys

Tomboys Senior member

Are there any other recommended spray protectors? I have some Kiwi that I bought years ago, but don't know if it's still okay to use, or even if that's a good protectant.

I've been using Meltonian Water & Stain Protector and I've been very pleased with the results. I get it from my local shoe repair shop and it runs about $5.95 per can.

Hope this helps.

11. enginerd917

enginerd917 Senior member

I've been using a spray + brush combo that I picked up at aldo with my driving loafers, so far so good.

The more I look for shoes, the more I'm drawn to suede since I generally dress casually. I can't help but be worried with the pending New England rain/snow, that they will get ruined though.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Great advice in the previous posts.
    My own policy is to never (intentionally) expose my suede footwear to rain, snow, slush or salt.
    Vinegar/water (50-50 mix) on a terrycloth will remove most, if not all salt staining,
    but I prefer to baby my suede shoes & boots as I am not wealthy enough to replace them easily.
    Suede and nubuck are a wonderful change of pace for anyones wardrobe.