• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do grey leather shoes pair well with?

C. Chase

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am about to receive this pair and I'm wondering how to make use of them. Do any of you have similar shoes in your arsenal? How do you use them?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.54.26 PM.png

Zmitchem

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am about to receive this pair and I'm wondering how to make use of them. Do any of you have similar shoes in your arsenal? How do you use them?

Thanks!

View attachment 977872
I have a similar pair (though they are cap toe derby's not oxfords, pictured below). I wear them with black trousers, jeans and a grey sports coat. You might be able to pull them off with a blue suit but that will depend on the blue. Hope that helps!

s-l300.jpg

C. Chase

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, how dark should the jeans be, and is it disaster if the blazer is a different shade of grey?

Zmitchem

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, how dark should the jeans be, and is it disaster if the blazer is a different shade of grey?
No not at all, mine is a medium grey textured sports coat and the shoes are a darker grey. I would say the jean should be pretty dark (black jeans would be perfect but dark blue wash is what I’m referring to). Put the outfit together, look at it as a whole and if it looks off then it probably is.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a similar pair (though they are cap toe derby's not oxfords, pictured below). I wear them with black trousers, jeans and a grey sports coat. You might be able to pull them off with a blue suit but that will depend on the blue. Hope that helps!

View attachment 978256

o_O

C. Chase

Reaction score
Do you have a similar pair Veremund? What would you recommend?

C. Chase

Reaction score
Funny you say that, the exact same pair in brown was just placed on sale! Lucky me, I think I'll be sending the grey pair back. I got the grey pair because full grain leather + leather upper and lining and sole seemed great for $120.

sddassdasdds.png

Zmitchem

Reaction score
Funny you say that, the exact same pair in brown was just placed on sale! Lucky me, I think I'll be sending the grey pair back.

View attachment 979153
Oh! The way you worded it sounded like you were being given some grey shoes and needed to know how to wear them! Definitely go with Veremund’s suggestion. I bought my grey pair pre-interest in men’s wear. Once they wear out I won’t be replacing them. I already have 3 pairs of brown AE’s so they don’t get much use any more anyway.

Cheers to the journey!:cheers:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that, the exact same pair in brown was just placed on sale! Lucky me, I think I'll be sending the grey pair back. I got the grey pair because full grain leather + leather upper and lining and sole seemed great for $120.

View attachment 979153
The brown shoes are Oxfords and the grey shoes are Derbys so they are not exactly the same. Specifically, the brown are more formal. As others have noted the grey would work with denim, in fact better than brown Oxfords. The brown are more versatile however with tailored clothing, particularly navy suits, tweed, dark green and tan pants, etc. It depends on what you’re wearing. If you can manage to keep both, you will have more options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics