• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What differentiates a friend from an acquaintance?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Nine

Ah. I only have two (brothers). Perhaps that's why they feel special and unlike friends. It's not so much that I have stronger feelings for my brothers, but different.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Ah. I only have two (brothers). Perhaps that's why they feel special and unlike friends. It's not so much that I have stronger feelings for my brothers, but different.

I haven't met like half my siblings.

Anyways like a sibling, I would never abandon a true friend. To me at least 3 people I know transcend family blood lines. To me a friendship is something really exclusive, and a sacred thing like a family.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would buy a friend a beer. I would not buy an acquaintance a beer.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't met like half my siblings. Anyways like a sibling, I would never abandon a true friend. To me at least 3 people I know transcend family blood lines. To me a friendship is something really exclusive, and a sacred thing like a family.
While I don't want to be (perceived as) an ass, there seems some contradiction there, buddy.
laugh.gif
I'm with you on the exclusive and sacred part. But to me friendship can be sundered, as has happened in the past with childhood friends without much drama, but brothers are brothers.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I don't want to be (perceived as an) ass, there seems some contradiction there, buddy.
laugh.gif

I'm with you on the exclusive and sacred part. But to me friendship can be sundered, as has happened in the past with childhood friends without much drama, but brothers are brothers.

My father has kids in different states, and different countries, and I will just leave it at that.

No one forces you to be friends with anyone. The bond is made by two people, and isn't forged by birth. I don't see why you have to be automatically blood related to truly care, and love another being.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father has kids in different states, and different countries, and I will just leave it at that. No one forces you to be friends with anyone. The bond is made by two people, and isn't forged by birth. I don't see why you have to be automatically blood related to truly care, and love another being.
I guess we misunderstood eachother. I didn't mean that at all. To me, the relationship between siblings feels unlike those with friends in a similar way that my relationship with my parents feels different than those with my friends. Or perhaps as my relationship with my GF feels different. About twelve years ago I came to live with a landlady of then 87. Last year she was 98 and all that time we became and stayed friends which mostly consisted of me visiting and drinking lots of coffee while we talked about life. She wasn't my grandmother though...

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess we misunderstood eachother. I didn't mean that at all. To me, the relationship between siblings feels unlike those with friends in a similar way that my relationship with my parents feels different than those with my friends. Or perhaps as my relationship with my GF feels different.

About twelve years ago I came to live with a landlady of then 87. Last year she was 98 and all that time we became and stayed friends which mostly consisted of me visiting and drinking lots of coffee while we talked about life.

She wasn't my grandmother though...

That can seem like an acquaintance to some, but a friend to you. That's why in my first post I mentioned that it was hard to answer the OP's question because of the feelings involved in different individuals.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That can seem like an acquaintance to some, but a friend to you. That's why in my first post I mentioned that it was hard to answer the OP's question because of the feelings involved in different individuals.

If you mean from the outside, you're probably right.

I think the difference with friends and acquaintances is in part effort. One should be prepared to put in some and before one does you're not friends although when you become friends you may say you where friends all along.

Effort can be as little as setting up a meeting/playdate.

On the other hand friendship is not a given with effort.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I consider someone a friend once I start confiding in them. Some friends I confide in a lot more, others less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads