1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you wear to go see Snakes On A Plane??

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JoMak_NYC, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I really don't see how this is much a fan based movie, seeing as how no one had seen the movie prior to its release, hence people were riding the wagon expecting it to be good or "bad" as the producers would like you to think.
    Well then you haven't been following along.... Basically what happened is that this script has been kicking around in Hollywood with only minor revisions since 1992. It was written by David Dalessandro, an administrator at the University of Pittsburgh. It was his first ever movie script. It was denied/turned down/scoffed at/and rejected for nearly 10 years, until MTV/Paramount picked it up for perusal, and thought that it might make a decent straight to video title. It was then sold to New Line and they began shopping the script looking for talent. Josh Friedman, a screenwriter for the project mentioned it on his internet blog, Just after the first wave of b-movie fanboyism, Samuel L. Jackson comes signs on to the project, publicly stating that he's a huge fan of the script, and title. And thats when the fanbase erupts into a frenzy of tribute videos, images cobbled together from other sources, parodies, bootleg merchandise, about a million spin off blogs, songs, and etc. New Line realizing that they have stumbled upon something very special, basically decided to open the filmmaking process up to the fans. Instead of sending cease and desists out on webpages, people creating faux images, posting homemade videos online, songs, and whatnot, (which is standard practice) they encourage it, even sponsoring a series of fan contests through different channels with the prize of having your input into certain aspects of the film. The soundtrack features fan submitted songs - which is why it kind of sucks. In response to a web poll, they did five days of re-shooting after final wrap to include the most popular suggestions from the fanbase in the film. Everyone who has been following the movie since 2005, was basically given the chance at some point to be included in some facet of the film through contests, polling, feedback and grassroots support. As far as I can tell, that would make this the most fan inclusive major release of all time. But maybe you missed it.
    I'm not sure how much Sam got paid, but for this kind of job, seeing as he wanted to be a part of the project very badly from the moment he heard about it, I'd bet that he recieved much less than his standard $10 million a movie. I'd bet that he worked out a much smaller fee plus a percentage of gross deal, which would be standard for movies with smaller budgets. The internet buzz for the movie started before Samuel L. Jackson was signed with Josh Friedman's film blog. Once Jackson signed on, the faux images and videos started turning up. Who can say whether the movie would have been as anticipated with Bruce Campbell in it, but he doesn't really fit the role, so probably not. The Samuel L. Jackson "character" was perfect for the role of the badass mofo with an attitude that SoaP called for. Its a movie that revels in its own stereotypes, not something to stretch the acting muscles of someone who can't pull off the persona. Bruce Willis would also have been a solid selection, and I bet that the movie would do just as well if he was in it. I guess we'll never know though. And everyone reading (probably not many people anymore) already KNOWS I'm a movie geek. "Getting over it" at this point would be, for me, far too little - too late.

2. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Senior member

Ya know I really didn't pay attention... and I guess what you posted about the script kicking around since 1992 I can respect it a bit more. It is rather interesting that folks posted there own clips and what not. I am gonna have to leave it at that. I'll probably catch the movie on netflix when it comes out.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I'll probably catch the movie on netflix when it comes out.

Just a word of advice, watch it while drunk with a bunch of rowdy friends.

Much like the Rocky Horror Picture Show, most of the fun is watching it with someone who knows what they are doing.