1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you wear in high school?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Noland, Mar 20, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

black
    I recall you went to Hermes for kidskin gloves at 16.

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

LabelKing... are you still in HS?

3. Handlethevibe

Handlethevibe Senior member

I'm currently a sophomore in highschool. All I wear is slim fit tees/hipster esque flannel/checkered shirts, dry denim, earnest sewn, some vintage redline/big e levis I got for cheap off ebay, and stuff from h&m cause it fits good. Also I wear a lot of stripey tees and dior homme inspired stuff.

4. meFIRST

meFIRST Active Member

Blue blazer (with school crest) , the school stripe tie (which was blue/white), white or tan pants. white shirt.

Wearing a stripe tie to school every day gave me a liking to stripe ties - believe it or not my ties are mostly stripe.

I don't own a single solid color tie!

5. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I had to wear a coat and tie everday, so mostly a blue balzer with grey flannels.

Ditto for me. I found it to be a drag at the time, but the experience provided me with a foundation on the basics - how to knot a tie, how much sleeve linen to expose, etc.

6. Flame

Flame Senior member

My school was really sartorially challenged.

Optical white shirt with optical white pants and black oxfords. to top it off, the inside of the shirt's collar was a light blue. Navy polyester tie to complete it.

Very harsh on the eyes. [​IMG]

7. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Alot of Polo and Nautica shirts, jackets, etc. Guess and Girbaud jeans. Rockport and Timberland boots/shoes.

8. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Class of 85
    The OC

Reyn Spooner shirts
    Flip flops
    Vans
    Levi 501
    Tees
    Pendelton
    Madras SS button-downs
    Bermudas

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Middle school, early high school transition:

Skater-look (even though I was really a biker): long baggy shorts (or jeans) hanging way too far away from my natural waist, chain hanging from pocket of shorts holding onto my wallet, baggy tees with writing on them (not "˜obscene', btw), lots of stuff from Alien Workshop.

Later in high school:

Lots of Polo / Tommy Hilfiger polo shirts, better fitting tees, lots of jeans / cotton pants. Still intermixing with baggy shorts. I slowly, SLOWLY started to purchase stuff at Brook Brothers; first polo shirts and then more "˜adult' items.

After high school, before college (I took a sabbatical to work in the family business and to get a kick at real life):

Lots of Zegna / Brooks Brothers shirts, wool or cotton pants, more and more v-neck sweaters and sweater vests; suits / sport coats if needed.

Of course, I'm wearing a combination of the different trends, depending on occasion and how much people around me (or myself) will probably drink.

Jon.

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

gray scrub pants, ancient tee shirts, sandals in summer, old sneakers the rest of the year, a few home made sweaters and a few sweatshirts. Shaved head. I was trying to achieve a sort of zen monk kind of affect. also, I was dirt poor, and this was economical.

I remember reading an article a few years ago, that the kids who dressed the most radically in high school had the best understanding of status and the relationship between status and dress, and basically dressed down as a reaction, and later in life were the best (or at least most formally) dressed. I thought that that was very interesting, and rang true.

It's plausible.

Do you have any recollection of where to find that article?

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

LabelKing... are you still in HS?
    Why do you ask?

I remember once, in freshman high school bringing my Helmut Newton Work tome by Taschen to school as a protest over not being allowed to draw cigarettes in art class.

12. ATM

ATM Senior member

I remember once, in freshman high school bringing my Helmut Newton Work tome by Taschen to school as a protest over not being allowed to draw cigarettes in art class.
    I hope you didn't drag SUMO all the way to school.

13. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Why do you ask?

I remember you saying that you were, which is quite remarkable for the knowledge displayed by your posts.

14. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

Jeans, t-shirts, flannels - whatever I could get my hands on. I did not come from a family of means, and my clothing was commensurate with that. (I believe this is one reason I spoil myself with it now...)

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

1956-1959: The Midland Ranch School for Boys (now coed). It is now just across the road from Michael Jackson's infamous Neverland Ranch.

By day, plaid Viyella shirts. In warmer weather, often khaki work shirts. Khaki trousers, year round. Boots of one sort or another. First year I had a pair of U.S. Army marching shoes that were a bit oversize and uncomfortable. Later I had a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter boots and a pair of work shoes from the same firm. My mother knit me several cable sweaters for cooler weather that I still have and put to constant use in chilly weather. I also still have and frequently use some scarves she knit for me during that period. I had a rather loud plaid Woolrich mackinaw, also a trench coat.

In the evenings, we had to dress up for chapel and dinner. I had several sport coats. My favorite was a russet-colored chamois cloth job. I also had an olive corduroy one and a houndstooth check one with leather elbow patches that I bought from Charles Webb, who a few years later wrote "The Graduate." I had one or two others that I don't remember clearly--may have been hand-me-downs from my uncle, but I'm not sure. I had various woolen or gabardine slacks (don't remember too much about them) and wore Bostonian Footsaver shoes.

In all, my apparel then wasn't too different from what I wear today.

16. Ropavejero

Ropavejero Active Member

Pulled out 20+ year old high school yearbooks and took a look. Guess I was pretty conservative compared to the dress others have confessed to. Clothing style haven't changed much and probably be called "dressy casual."

Plastic-rim glasses have been replaced by metal/wire frames. Hair is now cut substantially shorter.

In one photograph I am wearing a vest sweater (I now have at least eleven of these, which I use for dress-up in combination with a sport coat, or in a casual setting) and in another a crew neck sweater (likewise have an infinitesimal number today).

I have on an oxford shirt in another picture. (Recall I first began to like oxford shirts in high school, the fabric was heavy and so passed the endurance test, further they were considered "preppy" enough to be worn casually and yet suffices as dress garment.) Also, remember some button down shits in the lighter tattersall weave in solid colors (blue and yes, even pink).

A full length photo, found me standing and attired in: a plaid shirt (could still be worn without embarrassment) and blue jeans (probably Levi's 505, a brand I still wear regularly). Noticed too, the absence of a belt. Somewhere around Sophomore year or so, I abandoned wearing one, until beginning a suit and tie job after College, where including them was requisite in expected dress form. That said, I still today almost never wear with a belt with jeans. Finally, the footwear of white socks with trainers/sneakers is now reserved for sport and athletic activities. Argyle socks with Doc Marten boots/slip-on loafers usually cover feet as off-work casual attire.