• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you order on WW Chan's recent trip?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Anyone got any good recommendations for a nice glen plaid fabric, around 10 oz, with a bold overcheck (preferably in blue)?

I believe Holland and Sherry has some that are a bit bolder.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Mostly tweaks. Only other big thing was that sport coat that came with flaps instead of patches.
Many thanks - good to hear.

Can't believe it took me multiple tries over two days to respond to this message (I realize there are (at least) two threads on this)... what is it with SF these days?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any good recommendations for a nice glen plaid fabric, around 10 oz, with a bold overcheck (preferably in blue)?

Got something like this from the Harrison's Frontier book. Fabric is not as smooth as VBC, however. Patrick seems to like it generally. Not sure if I'd personally order from that book again. So consider it a "recommendation." Others can say whether it is good or not.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Im too lazy to read all 137 replies.. but roughly what are we talking about $$ wise for a basic suit, basic fabric?
Approx. $1000-1100 for VBC

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Got something like this from the Harrison's Frontier book. Fabric is not as smooth as VBC, however. Patrick seems to like it generally. Not sure if I'd personally order from that book again. So consider it a "recommendation." Others can say whether it is good or not.

What was your gripe with Harrison's besides the perceived coarseness of the fabric? How did it hold up against wrinkles and daily wear? Thanks for the "recommendation." I'll keep that in the back of my mind next time I see Chan.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I believe Holland and Sherry has some that are a bit bolder.

Thanks! Any particular books you would recommend? I recall that you had a couple of jackets made by PL using H&S fabric. How did that work out for you?

Originally Posted by Axelman 17
You could try Minnis 0510 which is a light weight glen plaid with a fairly bold blue overcheck. It is an 8/9 oz high twist fresco.

Glen plaid fresco, interesting suggestion. I'll take a look at that next time I give Chan a visit. Thanks!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Any particular books you would recommend? I recall that you had a couple of jackets made by PL using H&S fabric. How did that work out for you?

I've only had items from the Crispaire (Fresco) book so I'm not a H&S expert unfortunately. From what I recall in general though they're colors and patterns are a bit bolder than guys like Harrisons, Minnis, etc so you may have better luck with them. I do love the suit I had made from PL though.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does Chan currently charge for a jacket in either Minnis Fresco or H&S Crispaire?

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
How much does Chan currently charge for a jacket in either Minnis Fresco or H&S Crispaire?

Around $1000-$1100. Patrick likes the H&S Crispaire better than the Minnis Fresco. He says that Crispaire suits/jackets are more comfortable as the fabric has a little more give and the fabric has a nicer hand and wrinkles less than the Minnis. He was referring to the "new" Crispaire book.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was your gripe with Harrison's besides the perceived coarseness of the fabric? How did it hold up against wrinkles and daily wear? Thanks for the "recommendation." I'll keep that in the back of my mind next time I see Chan.

Nothing else. Patrick thinks it holds up well. I can't speak to it because since Chan delivered the suit to me in Feb., I only it for a month or so. It has been back and forth to HK to fix divots and other fit issues, and I'm waiting to receive a corrected version of it in my November shipment, along with a couple of other suits. But the "perceived" coarseness is sufficient for me not to generally like the fabric for suiting.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Met with Patrick yesterday and ordered a Minnis Fresco 520. It's somewhere between a mid-blue and a navy. Oddly enough, the fabric wasn't in Patrick's book but Minnis had sent me a swatch. I'm hoping there's no problem getting the fabric. If so, I'll need to go with either a Harrison's Frontier in a more typical navy or a Fimmeresco in a light blue/grey.

bigchris1313

Reaction score
I too met with Patrick yesterday. Ordered a Minnis 10oz. navy blue worsted for a 3/2 SB suit with 4" lapels but no other eccentricities.

I also learned that leaving Beverly Hills at 4:30PM on Friday afternoon is traffic suicide.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approx. $1000-1100 for VBC

Out of date info. On the July tour, I got a 2-piece from VBC 110 for $1,170 or thereabouts; VBC 130 is about $40 more.

On the matter of the Harrison's Frontier fabric, I have two suits in the Frontier. One in tan and one in a medium blue. The latter started out as a blazer with smoked MOP buttons and I converted it to a blazer-suit recently with the addition of a pair of trousers. Although I haven't had them long enough to comment on durability, etc., they seem like very handsome, satisfactory garments.

I am passing on seeing Chan on this tour and maybe the next. Gotta draw a line between wardrobe building and simple addictive acquisition (a vice I am somewhat prone to).

wqvong

Reaction score
I just ordered one light blue alumo dress shirt.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have not yet pulled the trigger but if all goes well with the alterations Patrick has planned, will be ordering this Breanish.

BreanishTweedShelandST7.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics