1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you go to school for?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by TyCooN, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Desi

Desi Senior member

In CC while focusing my studies on getting a degree in History. Though it is common for me to have temporary breakdowns dealing with what that means after college. I would like to teach but I hardly have any impressive leadership skills and want to stay as far away as possible from teaching anything below University.

2. milkisgood

milkisgood New Member

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

Currently studying philosophy, going into law afterwards.

4. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

How'd that work out for ya?

Note: I'm someone who took a ton of math in college, ended up as a finance guy, and wish I had done more finance and computer programming coursework and less math.

I don't regret my decision at all. It's important to note, however, that my university didn't have a finance program, only an economics program. I took one computer programming course in college and that gave me enough knowledge to get most of what I needed done in the real world. I'm not saying that all you need is one Comp Sci course, but it feed my own personal needs.

What I do regret, and it's probably cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars since I've graduated college, is not having worked harder in college. I graduated with a 3.0 g.p.a, but if I had been able to get it up around 3.4 it would have opened a lot more (and much better) doors.

What are the benefits of majoring in something else to prep for a career in finance instead of getting a business degree in finance?[​IMG]

At liberal arts schools you can typically get away with majoring in whatever you want as long as the career office at your school is any good (it was very good at my school), you have a good G.P.A. (or work experience), and you do a few things to show that you want to work in the real world (summer internships, finance electives, etc.)

The reality is that at my school the people who majored in economics fit into three categories: the brilliant who would go on to get a PhD and someday run the world bank, jocks, and pre-meds who didn't get high enough marks in o-chem to get into med school. I wanted something that would set me apart from these people. I really liked math, found it to be very interesting, and would make the same decision again.

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. Jenaimarr

Jenaimarr Senior member

B.S. Neuroscience

Worked for 2 years in biotech doing onocology therapeutics research.

Ph.D Molecular Pharmacology & Toxicology

Went back to the same oncology company albeit at a much higher position/salary.

7. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Civil Engineering (transpo and water, for those that care)

8. word

word Senior member

I went for partying, it worked out very well.
    This. Honestly my family pressured me to go and I never wanted to. So I didn't ever take it seriously and ended up leaving. Kinda weird having had a steady job for 4 years now and friends who stayed there and saw things through are all working in service industry barely getting by. Not even able to do fun shit or traveling because of their debts. I'm getting to the point where I want to go back to school part time.

9. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Major in Classics, minor in English and History.

Would have led to a stellar career touring gentleman's clubs, shooting pheasants in the country and reciting Cicero in Latin. But alas, I was born in the wrong century.

10. LordWanker

LordWanker Senior member

B Sc. in Chemistry

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

To please other people.

yeah i sure did too. but in retrospect, knowing how dum i was younger, we all need to do something what others say that's been there, for a little direction in life. college is still an experience that adds character, if not anything else.

12. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

This.

Honestly my family pressured me to go and I never wanted to. So I didn't ever take it seriously and ended up leaving. Kinda weird having had a steady job for 4 years now and friends who stayed there and saw things through are all working in service industry barely getting by. Not even able to do fun shit or traveling because of their debts.

I'm getting to the point where I want to go back to school part time.

Where are you working now?

13. ektaylor

ektaylor Senior member

Political Science.

14. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

15. bing

bing Senior member

...to learn

went to university for commerce, did quite well, followed it up with a couple professional certifications in accounting and marketing to give myself a more diverse knowledge base to build off of. It's worked very, very well and not done yet. Always found great value in getting back into the classroom and will be doing an MBA as soon as possible, already approved for it. It's simply a matter of making it work with a growing family.

along the way i've come across an array of different people with different levels of education and varying results. former IT managers who get MBA's and accounting designations who have great difficulty finding gainful employment... another MBA with an accounting designation who spoke 7 languages who couldnt find gainful employment... and then those guys with just highschool who make it big, relatively speaking anyways.

the common denominator, for better or worse, seems to be the ability to 'find your spot' and create value in it. you can do that without going to school, no question, and going through all the schooling in the world doesnt gaurantee success either... but it should help.

16. 2balls

2balls Senior member

Mechanical Engineering. Didn't learn a single thing applicable to my job or life. I did do alot of partying and experimenting though, much to the detriment of my grades. Now I'm re-evaluating my career path. MBA ftw.

17. Matt

Matt Senior member

Mentioned over in the foriegn language thread, but will elaborate here...my university years were a bit mixed up, but ultimately pretty well spent.

Out of high school in Australia I got into a BA and was sorta heading in a poli sci/social sciences direction. I was very successful in spending a lot of that year blindingly stoned and selling acid for pocket money, but somehow in there applied to study abroad in the US and won a scholarship to that end.

A quarter or so into my first year in the US I kind of recognised that I wasn't really getting anywhere of use with those kind of courses, and business-tracked myself more (although technically I was accumulating units toward a BA in Australia).

When I came back to Australia, I transfered to a Management-degree-in-marketing and kept the units I could.

I had kinda decided PR was the career for me, and had aligned my study in that direction, applied for an entry level job, didn't get it for not being tech enough (dotcom days). In that rejection, I saw an opportunity to differentiate myself from the field, so I went and talked to the professors about a DIY double major in PR and electronic business...they liked the idea and so I got special permission to derail my course requirements toward my career ambitions.

Worked out pretty well, although took a bit over a year longer than I would have hoped with the transferring and the country and unit hopping.

Still, it was professionally a great move. Certainly when nine zillion comms grads sent their CVs around saying 'hello, I am a comms grad please hire me cos uh i'm a comms grad', mine stood out because my cover letter played up that I was not a comms grad, I was a business grad who did his share of comms courses, but was "well versed" in the industry that is the biggest spender in the economy of the time.

18. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

sex and partying, mostly.

19. RSS

RSS Senior member

I'm a high school drop out. But I did finish college ... three times.

20. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

went to undergrad for pre-med (go figure, being azn), graduated with poli-sci/soci, now in law, and hating life [​IMG]