1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you go to school for?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by TyCooN, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Modern Day Adonis

Modern Day Adonis Well-Known Member

Think hard about what you will do with an English degree before it's too late. There are quite enough people in the world who know that the first line in The Waste Land is a reference to Chaucer...
    I have, I was/am still planning on law school. I've only taken a practice LSAT through once and scored 164. With some studying/practice, I hope to improve my score to low 170s. I realize the job outlook isn't too hot but I don't plan on settling for mediocrity. If not law school then I have a few options: attend graduate school for free and get a MBA, work for my dad, or go the commissioned officer route in the army. There are obviously other options as well but I don't really see myself teaching.

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Sadly it's a crime to perform brain (and spine) surgery without a couple of degrees...so I jumped through the hoops.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Yes. Enjoyed it.
    +1. I wish I pursued my post graduate degrees right after instead of being pressured into a job I wasn't crazy about out of college. With a mortgage and two kids now, no way in hell I could do that until after I retire. I suppose if I get shit canned it may force me to do that, but its not likely as I have 10 years in and any budget related layoffs would hit the least experienced teachers. Ideally I'd love to be writing or working as a curator at a museum. Thought about politics, but doing that without a law background seemed impossible, and the money sucks. Oh well[​IMG]

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

At first because i was interested in what I was pursuing at the time, but as interest waned, i switched programs a bunch of times trying to find something I liked that would lead to a well paying career, but eventually I just finished up in something that was for pure enjoyment (classics). The whole time I didn't enjoy school I stuck with it because i knew that you need that piece of paper or in many cases your resume will simply be discarded.

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I started out as a Philosophy Major and ended up with a degree in Design and Merchandising.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Ideally I'd love to be writing or working as a curator at a museum. :

my wife used to be a curator - more politics than most people realize.

I had a sort of unusual story with school - I had been working for a few years, and decided to go to college because I didn't want to get too old without a degree. since I knew what I wanted to do for a living, I was able to study things that I thought would be fun - philosophy, art history, and so on, along with economics. sort of my attempt at a liberal arts education. unfortunatly, since part of my college I was working in a job that required traveling, I really never put a good effort into my studies.

I'm actually going back to school now, the only reason is that I think it will make it easier for me to find a better job, in the event that my company is sold or major changes happen to my present company before I want to retire.

7. suited

suited Senior member

finance, the job search was tough going at first and I started wishing I had picked accounting, but it all worked out.

8. facebookdigg123

facebookdigg123 Senior member

9. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Senior member

Double major
    History and Molecular Genetics
    @ a small college,and yet, there are those who love it.

10. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

To be able to tell people I went to an Ivy League school and watch them gasp in awe and bow down to me. The latter part only happens about 13.5% of the time, though. Not sure if it was worth it.

11. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

I have, I was/am still planning on law school. I've only taken a practice LSAT through once and scored 164. With some studying/practice, I hope to improve my score to low 170s. I realize the job outlook isn't too hot but I don't plan on settling for mediocrity.

If not law school then I have a few options: attend graduate school for free and get a MBA, work for my dad, or go the commissioned officer route in the army. There are obviously other options as well but I don't really see myself teaching.

I scored a 170 and decided against LS (with 2 T14 admits, some money at GULC). Went with B-School instead (MBA/MSF) on a mostly full-ride. So far, so good. PM me if you want my reasoning since you have similar aspirations.

12. joelmthw

joelmthw Senior member

underwater basket weaving

and mechanical engineering

13. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

I'm currently studying Business Administration and my focus is Marketing. I want to at least get my MBA.

14. *#..

*#.. Senior member

Don't worry about it!

15. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Undergrad was economics and public policy and grad school was economics (mostly econometrics) and urban planning. I'm sort of bored with my job now though and prospects in the planning and development industry are pretty slim locally. Sometimes I think about going back and getting an accounting degree...

16. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

women drugs and booze. the american way it seems.

17. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

women drugs and booze. the american way it seems.
    I hope you didn't go into too much debt for that.

18. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

Biology-undergrad, Business Admin-Graduate, Law-Professional. If I could do it over, I would have found a business to start.

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I hope you didn't go into too much debt for that.

unfortunately my dealer wouldnt take IOUs or Amex. hehe

20. WoodyStylee

WoodyStylee Senior member

Double majored in Corporate Communications and Marketing. Had a great time, but wish i forked up the extra dough to go to a more reputable private school than the state university i graduated from.

Education level was probably the same, but the people you meet at college sometimes defines your professional life. Unfortunately the people i met are doing very small things with their lives, and i have a different mindset.