• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gazpachooo
2C3DC83D-1067-486D-9EBD-693C01F8FFC5.jpeg
F01053D3-19F4-4517-B3FF-852C6891F66B.jpeg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Behind on dishes so dinner last night was on an ancient chipped plate. Nothing fancy just ground beef patties.

hUVTc2b.jpg

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now realize how fortunate it is that I can consider this my “work” environment. I remember when I first started posting on this forum years ago with the mere conception of doing this sort of private chef thing..lo and behold it came to be, pleasantly, in a way I never would have predicted.
33D3C542-6435-4FCE-95C2-15E8E9F5AEEA.jpeg
DC89A0C8-9256-4FC6-8BB6-A3E1A5EB6115.jpeg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My buddy is a personal chef for a family. I've tried to drag him away to start a restaurant (its a stretch for me but I enjoy a challenge) but he has ZERO desire to leave. Doesn't want to go back to nights and weekends or the stress. I don't blame him.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the right circumstance (with the right family), and depending upon your sensibility, it is more advantageous to cook privately. For economic reason, the cost is fixed, that is you know exactly what you are earning on a daily basis because your income is not customer dependent. As opposed to a restaurant, obviously there are no overhead costs, maintenance fees, rent, payroll, etc., and depending on the nature of the contract you have with your employer/family, you can pretty much stop cooking and take off whenever you feel like it without financial detriment, which is a sort of flexibility I've always valued. For creative reason, depending on the nature of your customer's palate, there is an extraordinary freedom to create new menus on a daily basis, and make the fun sort of Robuchon dishes that take an extraordinary amount of time and labor to produce that in a typical restaurant setting would be otherwise impractical.

Perhaps the greatest advantage I see is the overall quality of the working environment, which, if you've spent a modicum of time in a restaurant kitchen, is easily understood.

One disadvantage, and something I've noticed after spending the summer working for one family alone, is that unlike a restaurant setting where you entertain new customers every night and thus gain the definite satisfaction of feeding your food to a greater number of people, cooking privately fixes you with feeding the same mouths every night. It is fairly crucial then that you generate some rapport with the family outside of just being their cook, since you will inevitably spend a significant amount of time around them, and, regardless of how much money you are being paid, being around and/or cooking for ****** people is not really pleasant.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be careful when the mrs. asks you to drive her into town..

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the daily assistance of 4 housekeepers. I wash nothing. It's wonderful.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he manages the estate as well so he has a few people to delegate to. He basically gets double off time (Their vacations plus his own vacation) and gets to dabble in gardening. His biggest gripe is cooking for some large parties that they throw. But for those he can contract an assistant or two. Obviously he is also a little more stressed around the holidays but his family is fairly flexible.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so why in God’s name are you trying to make him open a restaurant?

brokencycle

Reaction score
I wish I had the assistance of four daily house keepers. I don't even need the cook.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so why in God’s name are you trying to make him open a restaurant?
Well, he started the idea first. It was right after he started with his family and they were urging him to think bigger in his career/ have a backup plan. They all settled in though after a while. Then it was my idea after my job turned to crap and I needed a change. But now I'm moving on to greener pastures so it all worked out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads