• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 3-5% of all wines will be bad upon release, due to cork failure or taint, generally, but a more serious issue is heat damage or improper storage.  Provenance is very important when it comes to older wines, so that's why it's a lot easier to buy on release and cellar your own wines.  Purchasing older vintages from sources that you haven't dealt with in the past is going to be risky.
In my experience, in the US, if we're talking foreign wines, the percentage is even higher, unfortunately. I am sure it has a lot to do with transportation. We have discontinued going to a particular wine merchant because of the extremely frequent trips back to the store with the opened, unconsumed bottle... We plan to try another, whose owner is French. We'll see if the results are any better.

Last night: peppered beef roast with baked eggplant (thick slices topped with tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and feta cheese). 11 $ Rancho Zabacho Zinfandel (I forget which vineyard).

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last Night: Got far as the Potato soup and then saw that my wife was wearing a Hat. I got up to hit her and then... Hey wait...Wrong thread. Sorry. PS: No, I have never hit my wife.
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last Night: Â Got far as the Potato soup and then saw that my wife was wearing a Hat. Â I got up to hit her and then... Hey wait...Wrong thread. Â Sorry. PS: Â No, I have never hit my wife.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Mar. 09 2005,03:11) About 3-5% of all wines will be bad upon release, due to cork failure or taint, generally, but a more serious issue is heat damage or improper storage. Provenance is very important when it comes to older wines, so that's why it's a lot easier to buy on release and cellar your own wines. Purchasing older vintages from sources that you haven't dealt with in the past is going to be risky.
In my experience, in the US, if we're talking foreign wines, the percentage is even higher, unfortunately. I am sure it has a lot to do with transportation. We have discontinued going to a particular wine merchant because of the extremely frequent trips back to the store with the opened, unconsumed bottle... We plan to try another, whose owner is French. We'll see if the results are any better. Last night: peppered beef roast with baked eggplant (thick slices topped with tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and feta cheese). 11 $ Rancho Zabacho Zinfandel (I forget which vineyard).
Fabienne, to be clear, I meant that 3-5% of wine will fail due to cork failure, before it is shipped to anyone. Improper transportation and heat damage will account for a further percentage of wine to be bad before it gets to its final destination.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll revive this thread...

Right now I am eating some excellent home-made beef stew from a local high-end grocery store, a small loaf of really good and crusty french bread, some smoked Gouda cheese, and a bottle of wine. The last item is absolutely necessary, as I have a 3 hour class ahead of me tonight.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Microwaved some stew stuff the maid made. It wasnt very good.

A friend gave me cookbook which translates a lot of recipes to Vietnamese called 'Cooking Maid Easy' (!!!) - but she still manages to mess it up. Mostly because I suspect she has no mental image of how the dishes are supposed to look, and the book is a bad photocopy handed out by the International Ladies of Vietnam to new members.

I do love Vietnamese food, but I really miss 'real' food....

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
I'll revive this thread...

Right now I am eating some excellent home-made beef stew from a local high-end grocery store, a small loaf of really good and crusty french bread, some smoked Gouda cheese, and a bottle of wine. The last item is absolutely necessary, as I have a 3 hour class ahead of me tonight.

You drink a bottle before class? You must learn a lot ;p

riveroaks

Reaction score
ENTREE
beef fajitas (just the skirt steak)
crab cake
beer battered halibut

DESSERT
blueberry yogurt
wasabi green peas

DRINK
cranberry juice

King Salmon

Reaction score
Krill.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tofu in yellow curry over rice and spinach all in a peanut sauce. I made it, and it was awesome.

bob

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went with Duveen to Pasta Mia, a legendary restaurant in Adams Morgan that has lines out the door at all hours. Waited a half-hour for a table. Had delicious prosciutto and mozzarella for an appetizer, then was presented with a plate of gnocchi with meat sauce that Takeru Kobayashi would have difficulty finishing. Ate half of it, brought other half home in styrofoam box. Looking forward to dinner tonight.
smile.gif

Eric

Reaction score
I spent 3 hours thawing, preparing and cooking calamari for myself.

It was the first real meal I have ever prepaired and cook myself. I'm rather proud of it...

Eric

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bell & Evans Chicken Nuggets and ginger ale in between trying to get my daughter to eat her brocoli, chicken nuggets and apple, instead of throwing it on the floor.

Dinner is so much more enjoyable on the weekends when we have time to prepare a nice meal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads