1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

2nd one looks like something matt would cook. first one looks so pretty

2. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

I approve this message

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Fennel, shallots, onions, chestnuts, foie gras, walnuts, chicken stock, salt, pepper, butter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Beautiful labeling.

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Distinguished Member

That looks really delicious.

6. itsstillmatt

The problem with a lot of these books is that people assume, I think incorrectly, that you need to do everything the way the book says. Take EMP, for example. I looked up the beef dish MM did. Most of the time is in the idea that in order to make the sauce, you need to make the stock the same way they do, and then follow with all the same steps. That's silly. If one is going to go about making stocks to freeze, they shouldn't have to make veal (EMP), veal(Keller), veal(Pepin) etc. You have to have your own repertoire, and manage from there. Of course, there is no harm in trying a different way, it may be better, the harm is feeling so constricted that you have to use the precise methods for each chef's book. If you do that, you never gain your own personality anyway.

The EMP book doesn't really sing to me, though. I am much more of a traditionalist in my tastes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

7. mgm9128

I hear you. I just wanted to do his veal stock since I've done the Keller version and didn't like it that much (I think because he doesn't roast his bones). And also, I was out of veal stock. I made the jus the Humm way, but then used what I learned from the Pepin book to make a stock and glace de viande from the leftover bones. So, I try to incorporate other knowledge I have so that the task isn't so robotic. I haven't made a ton of veal stock, so I'm just playing around with what I like and what I don't.

8. itsstillmatt

Oh, I wasn't making a comment on you for the exact reason you mention -- you have done this a few times and are trying to find what you like. The point is that you will find what you like, and then you should stick with it because the idea of stock is to be a foundation, to simplify your cooking, and not to add stress to making recipes from various people's books.

FWIW, I don't know why he calls his stock jus. Jus usually is made from meat and trimmings, not bones, and the trimmings are cooked in fat, not roasted. But whatever, it is just a term.

9. mgm9128

I think he uses the term "jus" instead of using demi-glace, which is essentially what the recipe is for. There is also a separate recipe in the back which is called veal "stock". For what it's worth, I thought it came out very well, but then again, of course I would.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

For the herbivores zucchini flowers stuffed with goats chevre and sheep milk blue both Victorian then pan fired and served with grilled asparagus and aubergine on a bed of couscous.

Carnivores Monacan Lamb meatballs with fresh cilantro, parsley, mint garlic and red onions with cumin, Murray river slat and black pepper served on a bed of couscous with aubergine, Moroccan tomato salsa and cucumber riata with garlic and mint.

With grilled aubergine on the side.

Desert fresh made White chocolate and Grand Mariner ice cream served with macerated strawberries.

And washed down with Tasmanian and Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir and a Noble One Sauternes

11. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup recipe from Ad Hoc I skipped the parchment lid though, and used store bought curry and chicken stock. Was very tasty.

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

kamo nanban (duck soba)
    [​IMG]

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

3am yakitori and beer happened, I apologize to my gut
    [​IMG]

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

mussels and pimenton:
    [​IMG]

hake sandwich with peppers. Was supposed to be cod, but Citarella sold out of cod (????):
    [​IMG]

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Last night had a nice, semi-savory foie presentation (special from the chef for just lil ol' me). The table had duck confit tacos, pretzel crusted calamari, and steak tartar. I had a nice NY Strip with bacony broccolini and root veg gratin.

Mrs. Piob had a scallop dish that looked very tasty. Had a nice buerre blanc sauce.

Today, I had a nice Greek salad with gyro meat in it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011