What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. gqcao

gqcao Senior member

pho

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Just had some whole foods pizza last night--but looking forward to fajitas tonight. I have 1.5 lbs of skirt steak marinating in olive oil, soy sauce, and lime juice, with scallions, brown sugar, garlic, and cumin. (recipe courtesy alton brown)

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Caviar with blinis and smoked sturgeon
    Scrambled eggs with truffles
    Frogs legs with garlic, parsley and black trumpet mushrooms
    Duck breast with braised greens and duck and squab rilettes
    Edam souflee with goat cheese sorbet

4. tricota

tricota Senior member

A giant sandwich with egs, mayo, salad and shrimps. I didnt think it was enough for a full meal, but I actually couldnt finish it. Thats a first...

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Sounds fantastic.

From your posts I assume you're a skilled cook, but I assume this was not homemade.

6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Edam souflee with goat cheese sorbet
    Can you elaborate on this one? What sort of goat cheese? Taste? Sounds interesting. Saturday: Kangaroo, crocodile and ostrich, cheap Berlin restaurant: [​IMG] Sunday: Wiener schnitzel (pork) with walnut crust and gorgonzola sauce, in another cheap Berlin restaurant: [​IMG] [​IMG] Monday: Chicken breasts with wild black rice, orange pulp, glazed onion, red pepper, garlic and coriander, made by my fiancÃ[​IMG]e: [​IMG]

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

an apple with 5 types of cheese, 2 dutch, an irish, 2 french. a little honey

8. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Just had some whole foods pizza last night--but looking forward to fajitas tonight. I have 1.5 lbs of skirt steak marinating in olive oil, soy sauce, and lime juice, with scallions, brown sugar, garlic, and cumin. (recipe courtesy alton brown)

I used that recipe a couple of weeks ago for fajitas. It turned out GREAT

K

9. lost in va

lost in va Senior member

10. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

last night was some soprasetta, edam cheese, and cocktail pumpernickel bread

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I made a tiny little pork roast, mashed potatoes and real honest-to-goodness, artery-clogging gravy! (The only downer about it was eating it by myself.)

12. globetrotter

went out for ethiopian, a half dozen different veg and meat dishes on a platter, all sort of mushy in consistancy, a little spicy, basically the type of thing that I would call curries usually. not bad, very different spices from west african, indian, or pretty much any other food that I am used to.

the funniest part was one of my 16 month old girls really took to the food, she was digging in with her hand and shoveling it into her mouth (the food is meant to be eaten by hand, so it wasn't that out of place). the spice didn't bother her at all. I found it very amusing.

13. DNW

DNW Senior member

went out for ethiopian, a half dozen different veg and meat dishes on a platter, all sort of mushy in consistancy, a little spicy, basically the type of thing that I would call curries usually. not bad, very different spices from west african, indian, or pretty much any other food that I am used to.

My impression when I had Ethiopian food was that it was under-spiced Indian. I had a platter like yours, but there were a couple cold dishes--which weren't congruent with the rest of the meal. The bread thing was a bit different--but good.

14. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Went out for some American BBQ in Soho. While it wouldnt stack up to proper BBQ in the US, I've lived outside the US for so long that I take what I can get.

Had a half rack of ribs, some pulled pork, fries, slaw and washed it all down with a couple of beers.

Then walked down the street to an old pub for a Guinness

K

15. globetrotter

My impression when I had Ethiopian food was that it was under-spiced Indian. I had a platter like yours, but there were a couple cold dishes--which weren't congruent with the rest of the meal. The bread thing was a bit different--but good.

that was my overall impression, too. an intersting mix of textures and temperatures, and not very spicy but with some interesting spice mixtures.