What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:lurk:

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

No, if he was a student he'd be protesting right now. I guess he could be on his laptop in the park.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

3. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

I am le disappoint :confused:

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I love pigs ears but the ones at pizzeria delfina are terrible.

5. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

I agree. I live just 3 blocks over and I haven't been nearly often enough

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Why don't we just assume he knows what he is saying. La Cuisine Bourgeoise is a pretty well known term. You know, ask questions first, shoot later.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I like the cut of your jib.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Citronelle is fantastic though I haven't been in years. I like Obelisk too.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    also, just remembered, the last time i was in dc (couple years back), i had a really amazing dinner at city zen. stupid name, but good food.

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

"Sole à la ménagère". Simply delicious.

[​IMG]

11. sonick

sonick Senior member

Recipe for it, the lamb?

12. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Are pig ears tricky to prepare properly? I love them when they're served as an accompaniment with Korean blood sausage--and I think they're simply boiled. But I've had some really lousy pig ear tacos (and I usually love me some tacos).

13. KJT

KJT Senior member

Volt is out in Frederick, which isn't really that close. It's also booked out about a year in advance, so good luck.

I had a great meal at Redwood in Bethesda on Friday. It's just outside of DC. Probably not elitist enough though. http://www.redwoodbethesda.com/

Where are you staying and what kind of transporation do you have?

Really good sushi can be found at Makato. I don't think they have a website, but here's the yelp page: http://www.yelp.com/biz/makoto-restaurant-washington

Sushi-ko is a lower cost alternative that is very good. http://www.sushikorestaurants.com/

Somebody mentioned Jose Andrea's place Minibar - I think it's booked solid most of the time so make a reservation well in advance.

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Very simple. This is what I usually do:

First get yourself a few lamb shanks. Don't make just one, make at least two. Clean them off excess fat and sinew. French the bone and wrap it in tin foil to prevent it from discoloring (not necessary). Chop some carrots and onions into a mirepoix (I don't use celery as I think it makes the final sauce bitter). Make a bouquet garni with parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and some rosemary, which goes well with lamb. Crush a few garlic cloves, more or less, depending on your taste. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and any other spices you wish, just make sure they are finely ground so they won't burn. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven on medium and sear the lamb on all sides until golden brown. Remove, lower heat, and then add your vegetables and saute until tender, but don't brown. Add in about a cup of red wine, and deglaze the pan. Add back in your shanks and then enough water (or lamb stock, if you have that, but not necessary) to come up 2/3 of the way. You want a bit of the lamb peeking above the water. Throw in your crushed garlic, bouquet garni and a few peppercorns. Bring to a simmer while spooning off any fat that comes to the surface. Cover and place in a 275 degree oven for around 2-2.5 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bones and can be easily pierced with a fork.

Remove lamb from pot, and keep warm in tin foil. Strain the braising liquid through cheesecloth to remove any impurities, as this will make your sauce bitter. Place about a cups worth into a sauce pan and reduce slowly until syrupy. Coat the shanks with the syrup and place under the broiler for a few minutes to glaze and reheat before serving. The rest of your stock you can skim, reduce and make a nice sauce with to spoon over whatever vegetables you cook with it.

15. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

staying at donovan house (hopefully isn't some slum shack). transport = cabs, metro, foot, personal rickshaw.
    have reservations for citronelle, thanks for sushi heads up ! tho looking at map...

any place that serves great breakfasts ? i'm thinking like clinton st. or le french diner over in nyc, though i doubt i can find something like that.

also good iced cream ?

ps MM i haven't forgotten about our iced cream outing, soon my brother.