What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

They're usually not, i.e it doesn't happen as much with furniture design which can be both declaration of status/enforcer of identity and nice as fuck to look at/tool of expression/a way to connect with friends (IMHO) even though there is a strong segment of LC2+Barcelona+cowhide buyers who are total yuppie trash. With food I find the sign has eclipsed everything else. I almost feel we could be eating horse manure or spray cheese at 3 stars restaurants at this point and people would still be McLoving it.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

not sure what you're saying here matt. surely you're not suggesting that the pizza without the sausage would be the same as the pizza with the sausage? or is it the fact that somebody has compiled a list of 100 best things to eat in san francisco? or the idea that someone would order something they may possibly not like just because it's on that list? i'm a simple guy; i need concrete examples.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Mymy dinner is deeeeelish

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

No, I am just relating a true story. I was asking if that was what fuuma meant by list checking, and if it was, and it was the culture he was describing then I think his description of the attempt to show worldliness is off, and what it is is an attempt to show something else. The waiter certainly was presenting it as though the inclusion on the list was a bigger sell than the inclusion of the sausage.

As for the lists, I am mixed. I hadn't seen it before I made that post, and I looked and there is some really great stuff on it. Some are things I've been eating since I was a kid (crab at Swan) others I eat as much as anything I eat outside the house (tacos at La Taqueria) and others are just plain great (chicken at Zuni.) Most of the rest are weird little fetishized cookies you can buy after standing in line for 30 minutes for coffee, or strange food truck delights fawned over by Mission hipsters. It is, as fuuma says, a way to make a list of the things you are supposed to do, and that is a little off putting. On the other hand, there is good stuff there, and a lot of people wouldn't try it without the list, and they would probably be worse off for that. So, I am mixed. I hate to think of people eating from a list and then yelping about it, but education is good, and, quite honestly, magazines and newspapers need those things for circulation.

BTW, here is the list:

http://www.7x7.com/big-eat-2011-100-things-try-san-francisco-you-die

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

5. Fuuma

Sure, you're allowed to enjoy it. This won't stop me from seeing trends and their consequences in the field of your passion and how they're connected to what I see as larger societal problems. I am also ambivalent about my own travel experience although not at the same level.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i think i know what you mean then. i remember being in this amazing bakery in venice ... the stuff was just outstanding. there were two other american couples in the place at the same time and they both had faith willinger's "eating in italy" (a really great book, btw), and insisted on only eating the specific things she had mentioned in the book. there is a certain desire to acquire the trappings of experience without actually experiencing things that is offputting.

7. itsstillmatt

Exactly. Going to Venice is great. Knowing about a great bakery is even better. Having anxiety about what to order there because you needed to conform to the book is sad.

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

That list takes for granted that anyone would want to spend at least 50 days in San Francisco before they die. That just makes no sense.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i think what's sad is ever so slightly different: they weren't at the bakery to experience the bakery, they were at the bakery to tell their friends that they had been there and had eaten exactly what was recommended (of course, these days, the next step would be to have avowed that "meh" they just weren't that wowed by it).
    it reminds me of a time i was in the store of this great ceramicist named ubaldo grazie. he makes amazing stuff, kind of the revolutionary of deruta. and there were two women (sign, americans, again, and even more specifically, new yorkers), who were going through at the same time, but looking only for the items that had been made for bloomingdales.

11. itsstillmatt

He's right, but he should admit that there are plenty of people who only buy wine because it is on his on magazines top 100 list and then spout, without any understanding, the tasting notes from those very wines and, in the process, give wine drinkers a bad name. Look, I don't agree with fuuma that these things shouldn't be intellectualized. I obviously do it myself. And hell, I really enjoy doing it. I just think that there should be, to use wine as an example, less focus on the reviews, less focus on the lists, and yes, less focus on the label, and more on the wine. Now, that doesn't mean that Mouton is out of line for their labels, they are clearly still far behind the wine in thought, but maybe those ones with the zip up neoprene labels would be better off being seen more as suspect than intriguing. Likewise, Thomas Keller is not out of line for his presentations any more than Mouton for its artists, but perhaps mm, when he made the comment that started all of this discussion, was far on the other side of the boundary.

12. Fuuma

This essay is about denigrating experience and learning as a builder of appreciation, I don't see this at all as being what we're discussing. I also don't buy any art/food comparison (the universalizing qualities of art are based of form while the universalizing qualities of food are build on the social aspect, and that's just one point).

13. Fuuma

That's the experiential VS remembering part of my complaint, as you can see we do share some common ground, if very little.

14. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Speaking of which, foodguy, how was the Pie contest at LACMA? A number of artist friends participated.