• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Pains me that I know what the Kirkland brand is.
I was staying at a hotel in Beverly Hills and went to the gift shop to buy a white tshirt. $30. I was SO happy with the quality and kept saying to my friend how nice it was and how I needed a whole closet of them. He took a look at the label and said... "Kirkland. That **** is from Costco and probably costs $4" :embar:
So yeah...subjective

6 pack for $15 actually.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"But if we cannot decide which of two mountains whose peaks are hidden by clouds is higher than the other, cannot we decide that a mountain is higher than a molehill?"

hopefully, in most cases, yes. but talk to a frenchman about cilantro. or talk to most Asians about cheese. I'm not sure what would be a standard of quality that could be agreed on across cultures.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hopefully, in most cases, yes. but talk to a frenchman about cilantro. or talk to most Asians about cheese. I'm not sure what would be a standard of quality that could be agreed on across cultures.

It's pretty easy to distinguish things that suck, though.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

It's pretty easy to distinguish things that suck, though.

I love eating sow's vulva, oh wait!!! It's easy to determine things that suck within an appropriate framework IF you have a good knowledge of that framework and display the taste of those at the top of the divisions existing within that very same framework. Food is especially that way. Of course I'm a foodie hater and food essentialism is even worse. With that said I'll have to side with those who oppose food as spectacle, I'd rather eat mash and potatoes in a bad pub than that ****.

Do we have a thread/post about great mash potatoes (not kidding), I think I'll prepare some pub fare in a few days...

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Mashed potatoes don't need a thread, although one for potatoes in general could not be bad.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anything worth doing is worth fetishizing. it's really funny that guys who can go on for hours on the differences between good and bad "stacks" on jeans would object to anything in this thread.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love eating sow's vulva, oh wait!!! It's easy to determine things that suck within an appropriate framework IF you have a good knowledge of that framework and display the taste of those at the top of the divisions existing within that very same framework. Food is especially that way. Of course I'm a foodie hater and food essentialism is even worse. With that said I'll have to side with those who oppose food as spectacle, I'd rather eat mash and potatoes in a bad pub than that ****.
Do we have a thread/post about great mash potatoes (not kidding), I think I'll prepare some pub fare in a few days...

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing w/r/t suckiness. There is three week old fish and pieces of shell and sand in your food, and there is fish gut stew cow vulvas. Against what you may believe, I don't like spectacles either.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

anything worth doing is worth fetishizing. it's really funny that guys who can go on for hours on the differences between good and bad "stacks" on jeans would object to anything in this thread.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing w/r/t suckiness. There is three week old fish and pieces of shell and sand in your food, and there is fish gut stew cow vulvas. Against what you may believe, I don't like spectacles either.

Traditional french presentation stops short of spectacle or at least in its proper context it isn't spectacle. Plates with two radishes that look like they just had pink diarrea though...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Traditional french presentation stops short of spectacle or at least in its proper context it isn't spectacle. Plates with two radishes that look like they just had pink diarrea though...

not to beat a dead horse, but jeans were originally designed as work pants. i think we have to make some room for progress, no? and artistic expression?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Last night the bulk of my dinner was essentially three small beets. Cut into sections and with a little grapeseed oil and honey they felt much more substantial. The effect is not only one of visual presenation.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

not to beat a dead horse, but jeans were originally designed as work pants. i think we have to make some room for progress, no? and artistic expression?

I don't think he is leaving out that room. I am having trouble putting words to what he is saying, but I think he is drawing the distinction between the fetishization/fascination of/with food (which he doesn't condone but knows exists inside the historical framework of our society) and the fetishization not of food but of pomp, which he sees as more related to greater societal problems. It is where the spectacle exceeds everything. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I read. Maybe I read it that way because the increase in spectacle is what makes me eat less in fine dining restaurants now than at any other time (see comments on wine pairings in wine thread.) In all honesty, while I might not agree with his personal lines of demarcation, I do agree with the sentiment.

tldr version: he is complaining about silk sweatpants silkscreened with faux-denim texture and not about stacking obsessions.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm, how do you draw the line between fetishization and "pomp"? i mean, for some people, those plates that you put up are pure pomp ... i think they're beautiful, but i think you have to admit that it's beauty for beauty's sake. or am i completely misunderstanding your use of "pomp"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads