Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Would use the recipe for Moroccan braised chicken drumsticks with chickpeas too. My wife gave me a tagine and would like to use it to create this dish.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I get a pretty good sear on my steaks on the most measly of flames - perhaps your skillet is too big? I use very small cooking surfaces when building up that much heat. I have no problems searing on a flat cast iron griddle or my LC grill pan, and I have a two burner cooktop.

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Warm Watercress Salad.
    [​IMG]
    Langoustine in Orange Shiso Broth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

The langoustines look very nice. Think, possibly, about trying to make a clearer broth. Or don't, it looks fine as is, but I think clarity is a little more refined.

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

How would I make a clearer broth? I made a stock with the heads, strained, then added orange juice, zest, shiso and star anise.
    [​IMG]
    I used some of the liquid to cook the leeks. Then, I reduced this by half and added in some butter. Can that technically even be considered a broth? Quite delicious, nonetheless.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I think the langoustine dish is probably your best work yet, and wehlener sonnenhuhr is a great great vineyard.

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Zing!

But seriously, that looks tasty, mgm.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Between the shadows and the plate design, that cheese plate looks like an art installation.

10. binge

binge Senior member

I sear in the cast iron first, then finish in the oven. I've never done it the other way around. And I have a shitty electric range.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

mm for some reason the salad looks incredible unappetizing, imo. also that cheese with three slices and three berries is really forced and dumb looking.

This was but one of the many foie gras displays. And they had tons more varieties and duck confit.

[​IMG]

Actually wasn't hungry after a mediocre quiche lorraine but I bought these anyway. Had the orange blossom it was fan fucking tastic.

[​IMG]

My new lunchbox!

[​IMG]

Oh, and bad airline food. Wish I had photographed my meal on Azerbaijan Airways. It was lulz-worthy.

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

May be. I suppose it didn't photograph well. It was a very good salad, though. Simply watercress and a red wine vinaigrette, warmed just before dressing.

And they are concord grapes. Three is about all I would want to eat in one sitting. They are very sweet.

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Yeah, it was purely a gut thing. I can't even say why it doesn't look good to me. so basically don't take my point to mean anything. That sounds good and is what i like to eat, fwiw.

My point with the 3 cheese 3 grapes thing is that by having the same number of things it looks contrived, kind of like buying a matching tie and ps combo. a numerical variety is more pleasing, and by having one grape between each slice it doesn't help things either.

ETA: MM what I would do for that cheese, keep the same stuff, arrange the slices on top of each other on a nice wood cheeseboard and put the grapes in a white ramekin. Simple, effective, and really pretty looking.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

14. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Back in the south for a bit and my aunt made seafood gumbo that we all had for dinner last night. So incredibly good :drool:

15. otc

otc Senior member

This is what I did--but I usually heat the skillet in the oven as it preheats to 500, pull it out and set it on a burner on high for a couple minutes, and then throw in the meat to sear on both sides, and then back into the oven to finish.

Tonight I had a sausage--why on earth do I keep buying sausage from whole foods? It is terrible. They were giving out samples of brats...and that made me want a hot italian sausage...but I'd rather have a johnsonville.