• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Dude, you lost this exchange. Let it go.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We have a nice little harvest of some beefsteak tomatos and I plan to pick some basil and make pesto tonight. Will stop and get fresh moz and do up a couple plates for our dinner tonight. For some reason I can't decide on white or red wine. Thoughts?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We have a nice little harvest of some beefsteak tomatos and I plan to pick some basil and make pesto tonight. Will stop and get fresh moz and do up a couple plates for our dinner tonight. For some reason I can't decide on white or red wine. Thoughts?

I like white with pesto, cuts the richness.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You wonder why even your defenders (of which I am often one) consider you to be douchy.

It is not gray. It's not a vibrant green either, but that's what cooked choke looks like. I work with artichokes every Saturday at the restaurant. I turn a ton of them (and Matt is right, yours looks sloppy). You have to first get rid of all the leaves, then whittle away the green and yellow from the solid, and scoop out the "fur." It should at this point be almost white. If you are not going to cook it immediately, then you take a lemon half and rub it on the surface. The citric acid will prevent it from turning brown.

Beyond that, we cook them a variety of ways--but never sous vide--depending on how they will be used and at what temp they will be served. They always come out a dull green just like Matt's. Always.

So, you don't know what you are talking about. You think you have scored some devastating point against the best cook on this board which I understand must feel very emotionally satisfying, the problem is, you haven't.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lost? I'm simply wondering why his artichokes turned grey. No one has yet to answer this.

Here's your answer: They aren't grey.

Will you move on now?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not a dull green. That's grey.

Here are some pictures of artichokes, straight from TFL:
CtHCm.jpg

aMelyl.jpg

HRolDl.jpg

If you want to cook your artichokes sous-vide, that's fine. Just find a way for them to not look insipid once they're done. I was merely making the suggestion that cooking them without liquid for 10 minutes would help prevent them from turning that color. But, of course, who am I to suggest anything that might possibly disturb the established hierarchy of an online cooking thread.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's not a dull green. That's grey.

Here are some pictures of artichokes, straight from TFL:
mg]http://i.imgur.com/CtHCm.jpg[/img]
mg]http://i.imgur.com/aMelyl.jpg[/img]
mg]http://i.imgur.com/HRolDl.jpg[/img]

If you want to cook your artichokes sous-vide, that's fine. Just find a way for them to not look insipid once they're done. I was merely making the suggestion that cooking them without liquid for 10 minutes would help prevent them from turning that color. But, of course, who am I to suggest anything that might possibly disturb the established hierarchy of an online cooking thread.

Those actually have a similar color to iam's, without photoshop and perfect lighting. Interesting... PLEASE MOVE THE **** ON.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
OK, so matt, keller, pepin, soltner, Sailhac on one side, and on the other side we have ... m&m.

OK.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Those actually have a similar color to iam's, without photoshop and perfect lighting. Interesting... PLEASE MOVE THE **** ON.

Actually, the ones in the middle pic look really anemic and the ones in the top pic look like they could have used the lemon.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lost? I'm simply wondering why his artichokes turned grey. No one has yet to answer this.

-_- i am so tempted to curse here, but i already answered. they're not grey. they're purple.

bad lighting makes it look they're grey.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so while we are debating the merits of good food... i had some hors d'oeuvres that weren't too bad. A crab cake that was a little soggy but I love crab cakes so much I can eat them all day everyday and a grilled chicken breast thing that was HUGE but a touch too much salt and pepper. Anyway, was pleasantly surprised to have a decent enough meal of hors d'oeuvres.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-_- i am so tempted to curse here, but i already answered. they're not grey. they're purple.

bad lighting makes it look they're grey.

The outer leaves are purple, not the inner choke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads