What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

Not

2. randallr

randallr Senior member

I will be in NYC mid Sept and Max is taking me to Daniel. Why you ask? Because I've stood up for the under-dog. Be jealous.

3. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

nothing fancy. home made mac and cheese with some garlic cheese bread i did up in the over.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

would pair nicely with some cheesy potatoes and risotto with cheese.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I was actually thinking fondue. I like that you went this other route.

6. SField

SField Senior member

Had Chosun Galbi last night.

Not as bad as I thought, but not at all worth that kind of money for steamed meat and only like 6-7 banchan...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Just sauteed some shrimp in garlic and butter then finished with home made pesto. I'm going to be sad when the basil is done for the year. Splurged on some carbs and had with Israeli couscous. I love the texture. Paired with Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet. Nice bright acidity with just a touch of new oak.

8. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    After a few shots of 151, I decided to make some peanut butter cookies for dinner. They were delicious

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:fistbump:

Just substitute the cookies for ground meat fried with rooster sauce, garlic, and onions over unflavored instant ramen noodles. Some of the best and fastest home cooked drunk food I ever came up with.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

canned tomatoes, hormel, chilies, taco seasoning, garlic, onions with a fist punched bag of fritos.

11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Especially as I face the prospect of being shut in for a hurricane, I appreciate this turn to drunken/stoner food.

12. impolyt_one

Best banchan: can't really tell if it's Seoul or LA on this one, as I don't like a lot of the banchan put in front of me. There are a lot of classic ones that people get excited about, like ge jang, fermented dungeoness crabs, that I just don't even eat. I don't know which way you sway on this - are you into all the vegetable namool? There's crappy meat banchan in America, like soy simmered brisket that you flake apart, or fish cake stuff, dried fish, etc - but in Seoul, we have some really raunchy banchan as regular table settings, fermented chopped raw squid or shrimp with a dollop of sesame oil and a couple slices of a really hot chile pepper, the fermented crab, stuff like that. The kimchi is pretty raunchy compared to Korean-American stuff.

Best meat for K-BBQ: Japan. Nice cuts, charcoal grill with the net-like grill, they even employ a taller ceramic style base with a vent directly above the thing so you don't get all stinky, which is very rare in Korea. It exists but that is a Japanese hibachi, really.

Best experience: Korea? You can feed two and get drunk as hell and walk home happy for like $25.

13. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Impolyt, is there a reason why Korean soups or stews are brought to the table at a rolling boil? Have also noticed people who don't wait for it to cool down and eat as soon as it hits the table.
    What's up with that?

14. impolyt_one

Mainly it's a 'that's how it's always been' thing - Asian people like to eat stuff at 212 I guess because of germs and consumer trust (? that is kind of a fancy way of putting it, considering the subjects). The sanitary conditions of most Korean-operated restaurants no matter the genre are horrific, and will remain so. Most times you just have to not think about it, or somehow you become immune to it. It's just not in the culture.

We just had a 'wash your hands' national campaign paid for by the national health services, with banner ads all over the internet, PSA's at the movies and on TV, not two years ago.... though if there were ever an outbreak of anything, they'd quickly round up the infected into quarantine, say the problem has been reduced, and then vault the nutritive and healing powers of kimchi once again, like communist propaganda. :lol:

15. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Stuffed Fig. Fourme d'Ambert, Aleluya Honey, Prosciutto di Parma.
    [​IMG]
    Sea Bass, Lemongrass Cream, Tomato Confit.
    [​IMG]
    Cheese.
    [​IMG]