What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Conne, you eat like you're expecting.

Was that just dinner?

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Was that just dinner?

[​IMG] You got a point.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i had angus burger and fries last night. what could i do? i was stuck in traffic from 430PM to 7PM last night in the rain on the 405 going from irvine to simi valley to see my folks again.
    i had to pick up something and munch on while driving 4 mph.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Conne, you eat like you're expecting.
    Was that just dinner?
    That's a lot for one meal? [​IMG] I also had a side of Cape Cod potato chips and a glass of Coke Zero.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

That's a lot for one meal? [​IMG]

I also had a side of Cape Cod potato chips and a glass of Coke Zero.

You had 2 entrees and no sides lol. But to each his own.

What kind of Cape Cod? The Dark Russet are exquisite.

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

-An extroardinarily rich lobster bisque
    -Bacon/duck/egg salad
    -Medium rare angus beef slab
    -Chocolate truffle cake

I had a pretty good CabSav, she had a great Chardonnay(though I'm not a fan of the style)

Sporata's

7. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Indian take-away at the neighbour's.

8. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

Spicy sausage lasagna washed down with a Cabernet Sauvignon that I brought back from a small winery in Israel.

It was pretty good.

9. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have a friend visiting from Agentina, and took her to a chicago steak house for a steak. She (and I) had the bone in rib eye, my wife had the Kansas strip, kids had chicken strips and fries. nice bottle of california Cab, baked potato, cesar salad. fantastic meat, altough I have to say it was bordering on being too rich for me, just a little too much marbeling.

my friend, by the way, loved the steak. she said she hadn't had a steak like that ever, and that is a hard think to get out of an Argentinian.

11. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

I have a friend visiting from Agentina, and took her to a chicago steak house for a steak. She (and I) had the bone in rib eye, my wife had the Kansas strip, kids had chicken strips and fries. nice bottle of california Cab, baked potato, cesar salad. fantastic meat, altough I have to say it was bordering on being too rich for me, just a little too much marbeling.

my friend, by the way, loved the steak. she said she hadn't had a steak like that ever, and that is a hard think to get out of an Argentinian.

Too much marbling? [​IMG]

I'm not sure (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) if hardly any countries do the majority of their beef like America, and I believe the difference is in the feed. I realize Japan has Kobe and Wagyu which are another animal altogether (no pun intended), but the entirety of Europe and I think South America uses primarily grass-fed cattle rather than the mostly corn-fed steers here, and they therefore have a different texture and flavor. Argentinian/Brazilian beef is usually much more seasoned by default than your regular steak at a typical upscale American steakhouse because the beef isn't on average as high quality (by our standards). This is what I theorize, anyway, perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the topic can confirm/deny.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Too much marbling? [​IMG]

I'm not sure (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) if hardly any countries do the majority of their beef like America, and I believe the difference is in the feed. I realize Japan has Kobe and Wagyu which are another animal altogether (no pun intended), but the entirety of Europe and I think South America uses primarily grass-fed cattle rather than the mostly corn-fed steers here, and they therefore have a different texture and flavor. Argentinian/Brazilian beef is usually much more seasoned by default than your regular steak at a typical upscale American steakhouse because the beef isn't on average as high quality (by our standards). This is what I theorize, anyway, perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the topic can confirm/deny.

yeah, the standard (and ideal) in south america and most of europe is beef that has been grass fed and has spend much of its life walking around looking for food, and the meat is fresh killed - no aging. the meat is much tougher (although in a good way, if you can imagine that, sort of like al dente pasta) and has a little more "character", but a lot less fat.

I was intersted in the opinion of an argentinian (and this lady actually grew up in a region of argintina that is mostly ranch lands, so she is a real beef eater).

as for me, I have mostly been eating bone in strips since I moved to chicago, and I don't eat a lot of red meat. so, yes, I found the bone in rib-eye has just a little too much marbeling, as heritical as that sounds.

13. DNW

DNW Senior member

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pork medallions with apple cider burre blanc, garlic mashed potatoes, and corn fritters.

15. c3cubed

c3cubed Senior member

Vol au Vent with Chicken a la King, wild rice and brocolli au gratin