1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

now that looks like a delicious plate of food.

2. SField

SField Senior member

no, that's totally cool with me. This Christmas I just had dinner with my mom and dad, because the big family event will be on New Years Eve...

we did something weird... everyone picked their one favorite food and I made it.

Dad was eggs on toast with caviar, mother was cacio e pepe, I picked roast squab. weird meal I guess.

I used brioche and beluga for the eggs, and that was good.

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Seriously - where did you get beluga?

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Curried champignon sauce with pasta tonight. I snapped a pic but I don't upload it because it looks pretty weird. Yellow/brown/green ish don't look too good together. It was tasty nonetheless, curry and champignons go together pretty well.

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

chicagoron did you like the peking duck? it's probably the best chinese restaurant i've been to, but haven't had the chance to go for a few years

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

back when I lived in Rockville (ok, a bunch of months in 2007, I suppose not really "living" there) there was a chinese place that I really enjoyed, but the name totally slips me. I suppose I could use google maps to figure out what it was based on sight, but I'm lazy.

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

NOTHING! We made Belgian waffles, fresh strawberries&blueberries, mimosas, bacon and sausage for breakfast and I only ate it for the fact that it was delicious. At this point my holiday surplus is such that I could stop eating for days and hardly notice. Of course we've already planned to go out for fabulous dinners at least two more times this week! uhhhhh.... :spew:

8. SField

SField Senior member

my dad.

It was obviously a pretty special occasion.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  9. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

The place I went was Hunan palace in Gaithersburg. Love the duck there. Service was lacking... They were overwhelmed by the holiday crowd and after The Inn At Little Washington, anyplace was going to suck in comparison.

10. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Thanks guys

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Katsu Rules Everything Around Me

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

When my friend from the Czech republic had a cold last winter, I told her she had a bad case of the shnitzels.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  14. SField

SField Senior member

That panko crust looks insane. I wish I knew where to get something like that in LA.

15. impolyt_one

That was Maisen, a Tokyo institution for tonkatsu... I think the crumbs are probably a nice day or two old milk bread loaf, crusts off, then run through a processor to get the nice long and compacted crumbs. The middle flour dredging is very thick and pillow-y and then they usually fry katsu at two temps and rest them quite a while here. Maisen has a semi-open kitchen and you can see a huge tub of cutlets resting when coming out of the high-temp finishing fry.

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

come downtown. suehiro makes a really nice katsu.

17. fredobeddo

fredobeddo Member

A Swiss fondue with half of Vacherin and half Gruy√®re... with a cup of tee and some white wine... No dessert !!! [​IMG]

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Went to the restaurant "Jus" as we still had some groupons that soon expire.

Amuse gueule was disappointing. Some tomato, mozzarella, pesto, zucchini. The tomato didn't look too fresh, the zucchini was oddly flavored.

Holsteiner cow carpaccio (with rucola, parmiggiano and capres)... well, I'm not a huge fan of beef taste, so didn't like it a lot. Probably wasn't prepared too bad.

Edit.. forgot one course...:
    Spaghetti with truffles. Boring. Seems like they only shaved truffles on the pasta and didn't use any in the sauce itself. Also, no use of truffle oil, so pretty .. boring.

Braised veal cheeks with balsamico onions, potatoes and "Spitzkohl" (not sure how it's called in English). Not good. Onions were *far* too sweet. The cabbage was poorly seasoned (they threw a dozen different herbs and bacon in there - you were unable to taste the cabbage) - and, surprise, too sweet. The cheeks were tender. The sauce - glace - was overly sweet, too and probably a little too thick.

For dessert some wild berries (one blueberry was still frozen), topped with passionfruit sorbet and "vanilla foam". Odd dessert for this time of year. How about chocolate, cake, nuts, caramel...? Also... nothing special. The passionfruit tasted very similar to an ice cream you can buy at the kiosk.

Overal like 3/10. The service was friendly, the wine ok (but a little pricey, often 250% of retail). The food for that price is just not good enough - there are far better alternatives. Still, they have 4/5 stars at qype. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  19. b1os

b1os Senior member

Pasta with pesto.

20. impolyt_one

Ate Hainanese Chicken Rice and we set our friends up on a blind date, and then they went off.
    [​IMG]

Then me my and lady went to an izakaya and ate and drank more.

at this izakaya we had
    -a mizuna and bartlett pear salad in a typical Japanese salad dressing that was lighter on the soy sauce and more emulsified, worked quite nicely on the pears
    -some saucy little cherry tomatoes and truffle salt
    -tofu with some sort of mince meat sauce on top
    -tamagokakegohan (raw egg on a bowl of rice) - this place does it with only egg yolks, and then shaves a little mound of black truffles on top for you. They were not the best truffles I've ever had, but the idea was really interesting and it was good to eat. It's like, this ultimate cheap Japanese comfort food that everybody eats, and then truffles on top - but it works just like a risotto.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.