• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great knife. Work with yours though for maybe 2-3 months to learn how to maintain it, otherwise you'll be wasting a $700 knife. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, and you'll enjoy the Nenox that much more if you know how to really use it.

Your knife is dull but you just need to pay more attention. For now, get physically closer to the food and move a little slower. People cut too fast... move a bit slower. The speed will come but concentrate on correct, not fast.

I have deplorable knife skills. I'd like to improve them, but I'm not sure how. I mean, I cook for myself (or myself + girlfriend) on most days, but that involves cutting only a small amount of stuff--not enough really to practice. Should I enroll in some sort of class at a local cooking school? Or am I supposed to buy twenty pounds of stuff, practice and then, uhh, use as much as I can and throw the rest away? I've assumed that the latter would be best course, but it seems too stupid/wasteful to carry out.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have deplorable knife skills. I'd like to improve them, but I'm not sure how. I mean, I cook for myself (or myself + girlfriend) on most days, but that involves cutting only a small amount of stuff--not enough really to practice. Should I enroll in some sort of class at a local cooking school? Or am I supposed to buy twenty pounds of stuff, practice and then, uhh, use as much as I can and throw the rest away? I've assumed that the latter would be best course, but it seems too stupid/wasteful to carry out.

Volunteer at a local soup kitchen and concentrate. Or ask them if they will take your practice cuts.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Volunteer at a local soup kitchen and concentrate. Or ask them if they will take your practice cuts.

Ah ha! My lazy ass might not get around to it until I'm on sabbatical, but this is clearly the solution.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Don't just cut a bunch of veg. First you need to learn the proper technique, then practice. If there some school nearby that teaches it, do that.

It really does help to have someone breathing over your shoulder telling you what you are doing wrong.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Wouldn't work in Tokyo. The homeless people there demand a decently prepared fish a la meuniere and a soup and salad at least, and are picky about the sauces. High speed internet and 3G phones in all the shanties across town. Rent is about the same as Chicago prices.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Here's what I made with the spot prawns. Sauteed with shallots, garlic, basil and tomatoes. They were delicious. That's baby bok choy on the side that I overcooked.

were these from my guy? did you saute them alive?

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you suck the head juice?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Make french onion soup... that calls for like a metric ton of onions.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ate at a chinese seafood place called Newport something...

Great lobster, great whole snapper, horrific clams, bland fried rice. Not too bad, but honestly I'd stay home next time.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Make french onion soup... that calls for like a metric ton of onions.

True but only sliced (emincer) which is not nearly as hard as ciseler.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Ate at a chinese seafood place called Newport something...

Great lobster, great whole snapper, horrific clams, bland fried rice. Not too bad, but honestly I'd stay home next time.

If the lobster and fish were good, and the clams and fried rice were not, then you did about 90% well for an Asian restaurant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads