Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

He's right. It looks dead. It isn't about adding something green, it is about giving life to the plate. It is a hard concept to understand, but things look better if they are alive, like they are about to blow around in the wind or something. I don't know if this is what impolyte means, but I think it is a key for you.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

That is what I mean. I think mgm is searching for something and doesn't know it, and it's probably more related to the attitude of having a conception of the plate before you even make mise, rather than searching for something green to throw on the plate on the end to please styleforum. You want your food to look inviting and delicious, that comes from planning your dish and the plating before you even touch a knife.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

3. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

4. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Yeah, I understand. Keeping things in harmony with nature is what creates a successful dish.

But how would I have given life to that plate? Just take away the dead bacon?

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Well, it's the middle of summer man, think of what inspires you in the summer, and also what goes with fish in general - you can think down to 'lowest levels of eating' and realize things like dill, tartare type sauces, lemons, etc are good - go with that. Juxtapose the soft bite of the fish with something different, like a blanched green, etc.

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Thanks for the advice, impolyt. I was thinking of doing halibut with a horseradish crème fraîche tonight, but I'm still not sure about that.

7. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

MM, more creamy stuff? Think summer!

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

A few dishes from the other night. Excuse the crappy phone pics.

Side Car. Damn tasty.

[​IMG]

Braised shredded short ribs, house made gnocci with fresh picked herbs and veggies, shaved Parm.

[​IMG]

Achote rubed salmon, Israeli couscous and fresh picked veg from the garden.

[​IMG]

Heirloom tomato with compressed heirloom melon. The melon was soo good. The dressing involved coconut and was very fitting.

[​IMG]

Salad. This is some huge cucumber of a special variety. Very light and refreshing.

[​IMG]

Hamachi.

[​IMG]

Started off with Pinot tasting:

[​IMG]

Didn't snap pics of everything as the conversation was flowing. Berkshire pork and grass fed filet were some of the missed.

9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I love me a good sidecar. My partner and I got on a kick making them for friends a few years ago, which led to a lot of impromptu festivities (and some illness).

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

from Manton's post, as promised. The fish plate:
    [​IMG]

the fish was cooked perfectly.

and another veal shot just because:
    [​IMG]

I'll put a few others in the raw ingredient pron thread

11. alexg

alexg Senior member

[​IMG]

OK so my plating sucks, but it was my second bowl and I was about 3/4 of a bottle of wine deep. It's peach gazpacho. Pretty good.

12. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I would have used a melon baller for the honeydew, and either slivered, or finely chopped, almonds as a garnish. I don't know that I'd want to bite down on a whole almond while eating soup. Otherwise, looks nice. What kind of oil did you drizzle on top?

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Nothing too adventurous today: shrimp with avocado.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, halibut poached in coconut milk and lemongrass, with a tomato/ginger compote and smoked eggplant. It came out nicely; the plating, unfortunately, did not.

15. alexg

alexg Senior member

Similar in that I used almonds and peaches, but I pretty much just improvised with what I had. I used whole yellow tomatoes which I don't think he did, and no peppers plus a few other changes.

It wasn't honeydew, it was cucumber. I would've used peaches but I didn't have enough after making the soup, and I would've cut them smaller but I was lazy.The almonds were chopped, and I purposely left some bigger pieces since that's what I prefer. It was the same olive oil I used in the soup on top. The whole recipe was basically just a way to use up things that were about to go bad. It was my first time actually trying to plate something nicely though, so there's always room for improvement.

Side note: I'm in love with the VItamix. Easiest dinner ever.