What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

^^^^^
    Looks interesting...
    [​IMG]
    ...it may actually be better than this one.
    http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...Urq/China-Sole-Pure-Malt-Whisky-The-Duke.html

'"The emperor shield" the whisky uses the high quality barley sprouts which imports from Australia, specialized brews Shi Wanquan by Scotland to brew the craft according to the Scotland tradition, brews after two distillation becomes. Breeds tiger sweat passes through in the cave the oak wooden barrel's standing storage, fills aseptically again after the modernization installs wiring fills the attire, only then this high quality "emperor shield" whisky.'

'tiger sweat'....hmmm. I bet those Scots don't have that in their whisky.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Why would you eat oysters now anyway?

3. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

There are plenty of good northern oysters now. I actually prefer them :)hide: to Gulf oysters.

+1 to Manton's preference for grass-fed beef. I also like the grassy and mineral notes in the flavor, plus it's not as overwhelmingly rich.

Congrats on the meat tour, Globe.

4. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    that makes me hungry

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

yup, peas, mint, and parm reggiano. And yup on the sauce. Flavors were superb, but there were a few little things that would have made it outstanding - cook the pasta slightly longer (it was as thin as we could make it w/o a mess of torn sheets, but still ticker than usual for ravioli and it could have used another minute in the water), and add some of the pasta water to the sauce to loosen it up a bit. The sauce had been on the heat for a bit so it made it thicker, and I totally was going to add some pasta water, but for some reason I forgot. Little things to keep in mind for next time, but it was still delcious.

Also, some red pepper in the sauce would have been tasty.

I know the plating of the pasta is awful. I don't care.

Manton has leftover filling, sauce, and pasta dough should he become inspired tonight or tomorrow.

and I have a fish picture at home.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the first is a caprese salad with Mozz di Buff, heirloom tomatoes, basil, olive oil, grey salt and pepper. God damn it was good.

Then an onion tart

ravioli

halibut with spinach, mushrooms, and a spiced cream sauce (not pictured, I will post it later)

veal with corn that was cooked in corn, carrots, more heirloom tomatoes, and a veal sauce

pot de creme with peaches. Also outstanding.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Sounds excellent. I need to go and have a pasta night soon. The real stuff.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Had a flashback to my days of living in a (women's) university dorm in Korea for a year (was it two years?), many years ago. Food wasn't Chinese but it was also served on a divided tray and looked kinda pukey, regardless. Still in love with this tofu soup that they served though, that I've had several times as Korean homestyle food yet it's never served in restaurants. Would go up there and try to get some since I still live across the street after all these years, but a little difficult...

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Also disturbs the vaginal associations.

10. impolyt_one

I think both mgm and Manton should buy a set of colored pencils and a notebook and 'design' some plates before they ever get in the kitchen - mgm might end up with colors other than grey, red, and brown, and Manton might feel ready to break from the mold. FWIW my fiancee cooks like Manton (french training at work) and if it's plated on the spot, she'll just end up plating it the way Manton always does, classically, safe - but if she sits around with a sketchbook and plans the meals out that way, we go to the store and buy different stuff, plate it differently, and the food comes to the table hot and always more interesting looking.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I do plate on the spot. The idea for the way the plate will look usually comes to me while cooking.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I don't think I care enough to go to the trouble.

14. impolyt_one

I know man, I can tell. Your dishes lack a 'finished' look - the salmon with the chanterelles is a nice dish I'm sure, but you spend time making 'skin bacon' but didn't do anything to keep it from being a cluster of grey matter.

15. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

That bacon took five seconds to make. Salt, heat pan, add lard, crisp, finished.

I may have added something green next time to add some life, but sometimes I think less is more.