What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

Generally your plating looks nice but your food may be diminished by your over thinking. It doesn't really scream...THAT LOOKS FUCKING DELICIOUS!!!! NOM NOM NOM...and all that. Keep going though I'm sure you'll progress just fine. Kudos for even trying so hard

2. SField

SField Senior member

You already have way too many reds. The carrots, the squab the puree... it looks like thanksgiving came all over your plate.

It just looks really cheesy... like something one would find on a cruise ship. Would have been a big step up without all the extra shit.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

To be honest, I'm really not trying all that hard. If you've followed my food and plating since May, this has been a natural progression. Trial and error, mostly.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I was speaking poorly of my old boss.

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I added yellow and green via the squash, frisée, and blossom to compliment the puree. The whole color scheme of the plate is brown and orange; I don't see what's so cheesy about it.

6. CouttsClient

Ok then. Well... you suck.

:lol:

Seriously, you said yourself that your focus on this isn't normal for those in your age group. So uh...congrats or whatever

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I don't know what you're talking about.

8. CouttsClient

You are very awkward

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I thought the food looked great minus the blossoms. And Is squab ever really cruise food?

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Dinner the other night, L'Effervescence in Nishi Azabu. Awesome restaurant, all the plates were great, chef was an awesome guy and visited at the end.
    He didn't attend culinary school, went to work at a restaurant in Hokkaido using vegetables, ended up working at the Fat Duck, came back and opened this restaurant of his last fall, so it hasn't been open a year yet. I suspect that it will receive two Michelin stars the next time around, it's definitely a Tokyo two-star for sure.

The theme was bubbles and youth, a few of the dishes were inspired by his memories, a few things probably inspired by his time at the Fat Duck, and then a few French-Japanese type plates. Some highlights:

Slate platter, with a printed message card, and then this red box on top, and the waiter puts his hand on top of the box real quick to make sure it's hot:
    [​IMG]
    The message says something about a fond childhood memory of his, biting into a piping hot apple pie (says nothing of McDonald's, but implies it) - with his signature at the bottom. This was the second plate and it really just lightened the mood so nicely. Later on the chef said 'yeah I know, that dish wasn't really French food, but whatever'
    The pie itself was a nice flaky pastry filled with apples, guinea fowl, and foie gras.
    [​IMG]

Ayu, with watermelon and basil, cucumber, and bitter ayu gut sauce - beautiful combination. If you can, you guys should try making this at home, really flavorful combo, pure summer dish.
    [​IMG]

His specialty - a kabu turnip that had been roasted (very slowly) for 4 hours, and then browned in a skillet. The turnip retained a crisp texture, and a piquant turnip flavor - the roasting just brought out more sweetness and gave it warmth. With parsley sauce, dried jamon, and brioche. Also great.
    [​IMG]

Taiwanese tea, 'left and right' - in this cup of tea, there was two temperatures - on the left side of the cup, it was piping hot, and on the right side, it was cold. When drinking it, you got two distinctive sensations from this one glass of tea, going down the gullet at the same time, left and right. Not much to look at, but incredible.
    [​IMG]

Lamb sirloin with a raisin chutney and a fourme d'ambert sauce - the cheese sauce made this incredible, had this really bitter cheese rind taste - went with the lamb and the raisins beautifully.
    [​IMG]

because it's Japan, he gives you a choice of cheese or vegetables, that's really all it says on the menu, I went with the latter and ended up getting a salad that must've had like 20 things in it.
    [​IMG]

lots of dessert, this was called 'Desire of destruction' (again, the kid theme here) - a chocolate shell with Miyazaki mango (these are like $150 at the supermarket, each) summer truffles, Tahitian vanilla ice cream, and then there was a ring of clove powder around the outside, representing an eclipse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last dessert plate was these little apple looking things that turned out to be gently dyed lychees, some candied rhubarb that was incredible, and then hollow chocolate lollipops filled with a Pop Rocks-like candy, yet another youth memory reference. Don't like desserts in general but these were all great.
    [​IMG]

drank these with dinner:
    [​IMG]

Had a smoke in the front lounge after dinner and he had LC1's and 3's out there, with Barcelona chairs. Fun waiting room.

Really great restaurant, I can't wait to go back again.

11. impolyt_one

Got drunk on the free flow champagne at the hotel and then ended up going to Ginza to eat some yakitori one night for light snacks. When I eat yakitori I actually just like eating the vegetables, not really into the chicken butts, oysters, hearts, etc. I like chicken livers but forgot to get them this time. I eat too much chicken at home, I guess.

A5 Kobe - this stick alone was half of the bill. Kinda dumb but I felt like doing it since I was on vacation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    even more veggies (I wasn't kidding, I really like the vegetables at these places)
    [​IMG]

Had drank like two bottles of champagne, had like 4 beers at the yakitori place, but we were in Ginza so I felt like seeking out the Ginza store of that bar that I go to all the time in Seoul. Really dingy little boozehound place, it was awesome. I don't know if my girlfriend liked it that much because of the atmosphere but the drinks were incredible. Bartender was this old workhorse guy, barely talked, didn't smile, but his motions were exacting and his recipes were great.
    [​IMG]

My lady ordered a Mimosa, here are the steps he did to make this drink:

1. Get glass out, put ice in, use the soda gun to fill it up all the way, stir, let it sit for about 5 minutes.
    2. Pour everything out once the glass is cold and sweating.
    3. Champagne and OJ.
    4. Couple drops of Grand Marnier
    5. take a 1-inch strip of orange zest, twist it over the glass, discard
    6. take another 1 inch strip of orange zest, twist over the glass, use flame torch to hit it up for about 5 seconds. discard.

Final result; a Mimosa that just burst with orange flavor and aroma under your nose.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I need to get to Cyrus again. In fact, have not eaten at a place of note since February. :(

13. impolyt_one

Had a 5 course tempura lunch, kinda boring, but my first dish was great - tomato tofu in tomato juice, yuba, a little broiled piece of pork belly, and shiso flowers.
    [​IMG]

David Chang has a story in the Momofuku cookbook about how he is really proud of his silk tofu, cherry tomato, and chiffonade of shiso in soy dressing dish - Jean-Georges told him it's the best thing he makes. In reality though, that Momofuku dish is something you'd get at a cheap ass izakaya in Shinjuku where you each pay like 1999 yen and get unlimited food and drink for 2 hours, a place where really young college students would go.

This tomato tofu dish though, now this thing was really great; it's also on a Caprese tip but just so much better thought out - tomato flavor, tofu texture to represent a cheese-like consistency, and then yuba, like a cheese skin, and then the shiso buds really popped with shiso flavor, as an analog to basil. The little bit of pork belly wasn't so necessary but was welcome, as it put a little fat into the dish.

14. impolyt_one

My traveling for the summer is now over, so I'm gonna stay away from big meals for the next couple months - gotta save my money because I'm moving to Japan at the end of next month. Also, I'm getting fucking fat, and it's hot and humid here with no AC, so I will be less tempted to eat like I have been for the past couple months. Will probably limit ourselves just one or two nights out a week once we're in Tokyo too, otherwise it's overload. I'm pretty sick of 'good' food now after just 5 days of having it nonstop. Ready to eat a taco or something.

15. impolyt_one

oh and Pio, forgot to post this pic from that first place, it's your favorite stuff - raw foie on corn bread, roasted corn, figs. Great dish as well.
    [​IMG]