Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

ate some Jack Stack BBQ in Kansas City on Sunday, reminded me that I really don't like BBQ that much. Also, couldn't believe people were getting full slabs with like 12 ribs per, plus sides and starters. just not my scene.

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Yeah this was at Rendezvous in Memphis. I have had BBQ like 3 times since I moved to KC 6 months ago. Everyone goes crazy over it, but in the end all the flavors just end up blending together and all you're doing is eating a bunch of mushy stuff.

3. impolyt_one

I can understand sitting down to like, 3 ribs and a sausage, maybe a salad, some corn or potatoes or whatever it is American people eat, that would be reasonable, but the tray of meat, 3 sad little dill pickle chips, and a pot of baked beans - just not an appetizing meal. I think the burnt ends are probably the dumbest obsession as well.

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Haha They just kind of covered everything with their dry rub seasoning, even the coleslaw just tasted like some salty dry rub. Was pretty pointless. I normally just have BBQ stuff and potato salad, skip the beans entirely.

(I like burnt ends, Arthur Bryant's has the best)

5. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Seek first to understand, and then be understood. BBQ is often the best option, and if you experience it with an open mind it's a true pleasure.

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Are you a carolla listener?

7. impolyt_one

Well, I grew up with BBQ all around, even worked at a BBQ restaurant for a little while. I understand it, I just don't understand the love for it. I find it one of the most overrated foods out there.

8. SField

SField Senior member

I haven't had BBQ that blew me away, but I've spoken to enough people whose opinions on food I trust who have liked it. Foodguy has referred to a guy down in texas he once knew who apparently made really sensational BBQ. He spoke about it in such a way that has to cue someone like myself to exercise some restraint in decrying that genre of food. He's eaten enough things with enough careful consideration of his opinions that I should keep an open mind about it.

I did have that one thing in Austin which was ok, but it was dirt, dirt cheap, served in the worst part of the city in what can be charitably described as a hovel with picnic tables with plastic covering. They were not even remotely attempting to make it seem elevated nor was there any bragging. Given that context I thought it was much better than most food one could find at a comparable price point.

I do want to try really great BBQ, but so far, based on what I've seen and read that goes into it, it sort of seems like a very one note cuisine. At least everything I've had has been, as you described, a very distinctive yet unremarkable taste.

BBQ is to me, like most mexican and chinese food. Sinful for me to say so as they are far more varied than BBQ, but I've had very little good mexican, and the only Chinese food I ever really enjoyed was actually Taiwanese homestyle. I'm not joking that my first stop in Tokyo is going to be that Chinese place you refer to. So far, most Chinese food I've had was amorphous slop, distinct yet unremarkable. Hoping to change that once I spend more time in LA.

edit: jesus christ my writing suffers incredibly when I haven't slept much...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

A couple noteworthy things, neither were for dinner nor last night but whatever.

Went to Porcao, one of those Brazilian churrascarias, last Sunday, right in front of Sugarloaf Mountain. Fantastic setting, I mean truly gorgeous.Been before a few times to this location but still it always gets me how pretty it is. Because I was in Brazil it is authentic I guess.

Salad bar is ridiculous at these places. I'm sure many of you have been to one of these in the U.S. but it is worlds apart in Brazil. Real hearts of palm, tons of fresh fish (and some frozen :uhoh: considering we are on the fucking beach), some attempts at ceasar salad, jamon, parmigiano (not DOP, still quite nice and really hard to be elitist when you've just walked past homeless children sleeping on the ground, shirtless in front of a cafe), tons of really good stuff.

The meat itself is really good quality, nice and tender but man, they put way too much salt in that shit. Like, it tastes good for the first few bites but pretty soon it is like OK dude...enough.

And here's my other thing, they have a huge salad bar, an endless supply of meat, why the fuck would you order sides? I was sitting next to this table of three and they accidentally brought me their check, and it was more than $300 and they had just started ordering drinks, and sides... I don't know man... spending money when there is no need.

So yeah, I know I'll be back to one of those, I'm just going to do the salad bar.

Which brings me to another point--food in Brazil...I don't get it. Poor people food and street food is excellent (real talk--feijoada is awesome), and the top-most echelon are good. Anything else is awful.

Now, real talk again: this is one of the best meals you can have. [​IMG]

Cod balls and coco from a shack along the beach. I prefer their hamburgers and yeah all the shit's the same but it is one of those things were something is done well, cheaply, and in a great environment. that just makes a meal so good. Yeah there is "better" food around but that's just one of the most enjoyable things you can do.

10. SField

SField Senior member

I'd say the same of most undeveloped food cultures. Same thing in America. Low end can be great, high end as good as anywhere, but middle sucks. The best food countries have the best middle ground that both peasant and prince can afford. (the former on occasion, of course.)

Glad you're having a good time.

11. edinatlanta

Had. Back home now. It is just weird how 98% of restaurants are no good.

12. SField

SField Senior member

Ya, same way I feel about America. On one end you have the bottom of the barrel so to speak, which for me is southern/mom and pop diners (which I'm crazy about when they're good), presumably great mexican, then a massive lump of total unadulterated and rather expensive crap (applebees, Morton's etc) then TFL, Alinea, Graham Elliot etc....

13. edinatlanta

Dude, if you come down here let me know. I'll show you this place that has just fucking ridiculous Southern food and it is in a former grocery store. Still is a store technically. Was an old small town general store when the part of town was hard to reach, they started serving food and then just ripped out some shelves and put in tables after a while. A hidden gem. Carver's Grocery, if you are interested. Shit is just the epitome of Southern food. Husband and wife run it, EVERYTHING made fresh that morning. Sometimes they open, sometimes they don't.

14. SField

SField Senior member

Was thinking of spending a few days eating in Atlanta before I head to Savannah for a week. I will hit you up for sure. That's just the kind of thing I've been dreaming about.

15. randallr

randallr Senior member

Sfield for good Chinese I really recommend that you try Chinn Chinns in Kalamazoo, MI. It would be quite the journey from Chicago (maybe 2 hours) but in my opinion it would be worth it. Maybe you could make a trip of it and check out Lake Michigan from the other side or something. Anyway, this place is fucking insane. I love most Chinese food but this stuff is just next level in terms of freshness. It's just one of those places with really amazing food without all the bullshit. The chef there competes in local "Chopped" style events for charity and absolutely destroys the competition. I've met people there who have driven 2 hours one way just to eat there....lucky for me it's a mile down the road from my grandparents house.