1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i just had a nice , juicy , chewy Double Double with both raw and grilled onions.

a french fry, i always put my favorite Pico Pica hot sauce on it.

love it.

2. Histrion

Histrion Senior Member

I could not take another so-so meal in my tiny appartment tonight so I decided to go to a pretty good bistro even though I can't really afford it.

I had a leek and turnip soup with a mousse of goat cheese topping it and then a tartelette (I don't know how to translate it) of boudin noir, red peppers, portobello mushrooms. I washed it down with a glass of 2004 Domaine Michaud Touraine Ad Vitam. Pretty damn tasty.

3. Brian278

Brian278 Distinguished Member

I grilled a smorgasbord of meat for my dad's birthday, along with a simple baked potato and hearts of romaine salad. A good friend's family owns a premium meat distributor, so I did ostrich tenderloin, venison tenderloin, and something even more special: Wagyu (Wagyu is to Kobe like Prosecco is to Champagne) Ribeye. They take the "caps" off of bone-in Wagyu Ribeyes (the most tender part) which are about 3 oz. each, the byproduct of a common Ribeye cut for restaurants, fuse them together with a tasteless protein adhesive to make 6 oz. pieces about 1" thick. The marbleizing is like nothing you see with regular beef, and it's so tender and fatty it's rich and almost sweet. It's like the creme brulee of meat, an entirely decadent beef experience.

Paired it with a very big and spicy 2005 Montes Alpha Cab. An excellent meal, and I have enough left over to have ostrich and venison sandwiches for the next few days.

4. Histrion

Histrion Senior Member

I'm assuming you meant Wagyu? I'd love to taste some of that. I'm not the biggest steak fan, but once in a while its pretty satisfying!

5. Brian278

I'm assuming you meant Wagyu? I'd love to taste some of that. I'm not the biggest steak fan, but once in a while its pretty satisfying!

Yeah, apparently I did. I've never seen it spelled before.

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

7. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Weather's turning cold - made a nice pot of lentil soup! [​IMG]

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Distinguished Member

I made a salmon recipe from epicurious.com--seared salmon with dijon broth, which was kind of gross. I realized that this is the second "salmon in broth" recipe I've made and not liked. I think it will be the last.

On that note, can anyone suggest some good, relatively quick salmon recipes/menus? Looking to break out of the teryaki or dill rut.

This morning I threw some beef stew ingredients in the slow cooker. Looking forward to getting home.

9. Histrion

Histrion Senior Member

Here's a ridiculously easy one:

Put some olive oil (not too much) in a frying pan and then put your salmon filet in it, skin side on the pan. Turn up the heat high until the olive oil is 'boiling'. Then, put the heat down to medium. When the salmon is cooked to 2/3 or 3/4, take the pan out of the circle and flip the salmon filet. Let it rest this way for a few minutes as it finishes cooking from its own heat. You will have a filet with a crispy skin. I like eating the skin when it has a decent texture, which is the case with this very very simple recipe.

Serve it with a salsa of fresh tomatoes, basilic and olive oil. Quantities do not matter all that much. I usually have mushrooms and red peppers as sides, sometimes with a wild rice too.

10. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Tonight:

Philly cheese steak w/ketchup
    French fries
    Taco salad (lettuce, tomato, taco meat, salsa, cheese)

This is actually a lot less than I usually eat. I've been doing a "portion control" thing since this past Saturday and I honestly feel a lot better. Usually I'd just stuff myself till I couldn't breathe.

11. Alter

Alter Distinguished Member

Tonight:

This is actually a lot less than I usually eat. I've been doing a "portion control" thing since this past Saturday and I honestly feel a lot better. Usually I'd just stuff myself till I couldn't breathe.

You should try Weight Watchers. Nice place for you to hang out with some other middle-aged women.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

13. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

pho

[​IMG]

14. Brian278

Grilled venison tenderloin over homemade caesar salad.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

We started with a pizza, then pasta with pumpkin, then a soup recipe from the 16th century and finally a lemon meringue pie.