What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Falls apart when it comes out of the ring mold - I think I either had too much liquid or didn't press firmly enough. Tasted great, looked deflated compared to yours.
    I looked at the recipe in Simply French and the one I used, and they are just slightly different. First, she calls for a mold with a bottom, more of a tart pan, and mine uses an open ring. Second, she wants you to cover the entire bottom with the eggplant/zucchini, while mine covers only about 1.5 cm with each strip. I think the latter could be your issue. You definitely want to tamp the lamb in well. The major difference, however, is that mine shows that you fill with lamb almost all the way up, then fold the strips over, then top with a bit of tomato sauce on top of the folded over strips, then put the pinwheel on. You don't combine the lamb and tomato, which I believe is where you are getting too much moisture. Try it that way, and make sure the mold is well buttered. Mine came out really easily. I didn't even have to push.

2. otc

otc Senior member

It almost has the color of Ivory King Salmon.

Its atlantic (so not wild). Seemed to make more sense as my father's parents are both from denmark (and had a niece and her husband in town from copenhagen) and that is the fish they have there. This one was scottish...but close enough.

3. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

I use a . . . flexible [knife] to fillet.
    I am more apt to loose a little flesh when I do that (though it is probably faster).

4. KJT

KJT Senior member

We had the second ballontine, grilled sweet corn, and grilled green beans. Homemade blueberry cobbler w/ vanilla ice-cream. Awesome summer dinner.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

You again seared then baked it? Some pics?
    Will do ballontine in the next days again, too.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

7. KJT

KJT Senior member

You again seared then baked it? Some pics?
    Will do ballontine in the next days again, too.

It was the second bird from yesterday. Reheated on the grill on indirect heat while the veggies were cooking, then quick blast of high heat to crisp up. Very good.

No pics unfortunately.

8. itsstillmatt

[​IMG]
    The duck looks great. What is that on top? A stuffed something?

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

And under the stuffed something? Some kind of vegetable burger (maybe carrots and celery or potato)?

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The duck looks great. What is that on top? A stuffed something?

It's a julienne of carrot, celery and turnip, cooked etuvee, with a pommes maxim disk on top of that, and a leg cooked confit (thigh bone removed) and then cripsed on top of that.

horribly unfocused pic shows plate from above

[​IMG]

12. itsstillmatt

Now that you say it, it is obvious. Looks really nice.

13. itsstillmatt

[​IMG] [​IMG] The mysterious hay chicken: [​IMG]

14. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I looked at the recipe in Simply French and the one I used, and they are just slightly different. First, she calls for a mold with a bottom, more of a tart pan, and mine uses an open ring. Second, she wants you to cover the entire bottom with the eggplant/zucchini, while mine covers only about 1.5 cm with each strip. I think the latter could be your issue. You definitely want to tamp the lamb in well. The major difference, however, is that mine shows that you fill with lamb almost all the way up, then fold the strips over, then top with a bit of tomato sauce on top of the folded over strips, then put the pinwheel on. You don't combine the lamb and tomato, which I believe is where you are getting too much moisture. Try it that way, and make sure the mold is well buttered. Mine came out really easily. I didn't even have to push.

I use Simply French and you're right, I'm left with only a bit of the zucchinin and eggplant to wrap on top. I did have the tomato touching the lamb which is probably the moisture issue. I'll give it another go in a few weeks with your tips - I really appreciate them.

Oh, and beautiful veg up there...

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Just one day, just one, I'd like to not have to come in here, look at these beautiful dishes, and have to wonder what the hell they actually are.

I'm just sayin.