1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

Have it your way. Just don't post pictures of it in this thread

2. CouttsClient

You're dirty :satisfied:

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shit (not like that.) I didn't know that one.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Teh ghey's - they're just like Burger King.

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

So, you're saying you want me to toss my salad?

6. CouttsClient

If you can do that to yourself PM me and I'll get you started on a very lucrative career path

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Thank you very much. But as you can see from the photo, I toss neither mine, nor anyone else's, salad.

8. CouttsClient

:laugh:

When you know better...you do better

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Are there ever moments of self-doubt, when you just look at the plate and go "What the fuck am I doing with this?" and immediately regret the hour you spent fetishizing a radish?

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Arent you in the architecture/design field? Lol

11. StephenHero

There is equally as much contrived excess in architecture, but the field is far more suited to it than food. Buildings are semi-permanent, and that salad lasts for five minutes. The inordinate amount of time spent plating delicacies sculpturally is far more preposterous than any attempt one could put into making brick stacking as tedious and superfluous as possible, because the difference can be enjoyed continually. That's not to say I like things complex because I very rarely do. There is a negligible difference in taste between those components whether they are arranged haphazardly or precisely from what I can tell. In this case, I don't even see the process of eating them revealed in their arrangement that offers justification to the effort put into them. It's ornamental for the sake of ornament. At some point, it's just a goddamn salad and salvation doesn't lie within it.

FWIW, I always compare food to architecture. Cooks and architects have more in common than any other creative professions, because utility supersedes their creative limits. I really hate it when cooks or architects self-identify as artists.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

Highlights from French Laundry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^some figs for mm

13. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

lol, reminds me of this course I just had:
    [​IMG]

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I actually think fashion designers and cooks have more in common; there is a lot of touching and feeling, and hand work involved (no coutts) :nodding: There are a lot more analogs there obviously. Architecture has firmness, fashion and food do not, as you said. That is why architecture belongs on a different echelon than food or fashion. Practical arts like food and fashion can be done by many, mastered by few; architecture is a much riskier, heavier proposition.

15. StephenHero

But still, I don't understand the impulse of photographing food or intentionally making food that causes the diner the need to photograph it. It's completely obstructive to the purpose of eating it. There is sloppy. There is orderly. There is fancy. But then there is ornamental, and if the reaction of 90% of the people that see the plate is "Wow. How did they get that green shit into that shape? Let's interrupt everything we're doing, photograph it and put it on Flickr..." then the whole experience has thwarted. When it gets to the point where I'm merely concerned about documenting or viewing the circus on my plate I just have to draw the line. It's hard to take seriously when effort reveals contrivances.

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

fashion also gives a sense of firmness. molding cloths to shape the body. architecture and clothing have more to do with each other than either with food. iirc jil sander said if she wasn't a fashunz designer she would have been an architect

you're all related. (mm, stephen, mr toj)

also there's nothing wrong with making the food you're about to eat pretty. but you're in that at some point it becomes excessive

17. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

:thumbs-up:

[​IMG]

Was that a whole, raw, baby parsnip? Was it easy to cut with your knife? I'm really only a fan of serving raw vegetables when sliced thin.

18. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

Why take pictures of anything then?

They help me reminisce on experiences I've had. The faintest ink is better than the best memory and so forth.

19. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I generally dislike it when people take pictures of food in restaurants. I don't think that is what dining should be about (unless, of course, you're taking pictures of figs at The French Laundry). That being said, French cuisine has always placed an emphasis on presentation. As long as it still tastes good, I see no problem with designing a plate that is appealing to both the eyes and stomach.

20. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

Funny that you say that, I noticed that it was a bit difficult to cut. I just ate the whole thing sans stalk