What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

My first attempt on some kind of Ballotine. Deboning went okay, just needed a little bit longer than Pepin... Also seemed to be a bit harder with a guine fowl, which I used, than a normal hen. I filled it with mushrooms/onions/parsley. I first seared it on all sides for approx 3 minutes on med-high. Then it went into the oven at 375°F for about 30-35 minutes (until the core temperature reached 165°F). Didn't make no sauce, just gave some of the dripping on it. Neither good plating nor good pics, I know.. [​IMG] Anyway, it tasted superbly! Very tender. The filling was great, too. Will definitely do it again. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

[​IMG]

Styleforum's got ballotine fever

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

matt or some other pro here. In general, is it okay to sear a ballotine or put it in the oven? I've read many times that you can only poach it, maybe sear after - like a gallantine. I tried it that way because Pepin said it is okay, it tasted great so no reason to change it.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

matt or some other pro here. In general, is it okay to sear a ballotine or put it in the oven? I've read many times that you can only poach it, maybe sear after - like a gallantine. I tried it that way because Pepin said it is okay, it tasted great so no reason to change it. Just for the record, it looks like the slices are broken on the bottem left. This just seemed to happen in the central slices of the hen, the outer ones didn't break. Maybe too much filling? Or did I do something wrong while deboning leaving not enough meat?
    You just have to be careful when you are cooking it. Like I said, I don't split the skin in the back because it helps keep it in nice shape, but if you are careful, you'll be fine. I'd probably roast it rather than brown it in a pan, though The one I posted I cooked only in a pan because I had forgotten to heat the oven and I was hungry.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

For dessert some Tiramisù. This was one of the, if not the, best Tiramisùs I have eaten so far. Not sure why it seems so good as I do pretty much the same recipe every time - and I have done about a dozen -, maybe the different coffee is better or so.

[​IMG]

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    [​IMG]

great plate.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    [​IMG]

that's a great first try. i might try beating an egg into the farce to bind it just a little.

9. KJT

KJT Senior member

Here's my attempt. Cornish game hen stuffed with shitake mushroom and onion, pan seared, then roasted, with a round zucchini hollowed and filled with herbed (basil and thyme) zucchini puree and topped with aged cheddar.

Wing "Lollypops":
    [​IMG]

Finished birds:
    [​IMG]

Composed plate, with pan sauce:
    [​IMG]

Plating is hard... Also, I need to practice making sauces. It's something I get at restaurants that I can't replicate and it elevates dishes to another level. Mine never do the dish justice.

Oh well, it still tasted very good. I look forward to trying this preparation on a larger bird, as I believe it will allow me more options with stuffing it. I didn't think there was enough filling.

10. KJT

KJT Senior member

[​IMG]

Looks amazing. What is the sauce and what is behind the scallops?

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

I guess it's (half) a king oyster mushroom or however you call it. Looks good KJT. Didn't want to deep-fry my lollipops as I only had two. I just seared them. [​IMG] How did they taste? Bigger hens definitely are an advantage. My one wasn't that giant, "just" about 2.3lb - but enough stuffing went inside (approx 2 normal sized onions, 4.5 oz mushrooms, lots of parsley). There were some black feathered chicken or maize-fed chicken that nearly weighed 4lb - too big for me but might be better next time regarding the time exposure (as an amateur in deboning whole chicken). How did your stuffing taste? I can recommend mine, mushrooms, onions and parsley. Really good. Definitely one of my favourite dishes so far. @foodguy Thanks! Will try it out with an egg next time.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

MM - It might not be as pretty, but if you score the skin it will keep the fish from buckling up like that.

13. KJT

KJT Senior member

I didn't deep fry them, just a little hot oil in a skillet. They were delicious. Next time we have people over, I will buy some wings and prepare them like that as an hors d'oeuvre.

It looked like you had a better ratio of stuffing to meat than I did. My stuffing tasted fine, it was just onions and mushrooms. The meal itself would be better suited for a fall dinner - it was a bit heavy for us.

I will try adding an egg the next time as well to help hold things together.

14. KJT

KJT Senior member

For dessert some Tiramisù. This was one of the, if not the, best Tiramisùs I have eaten so far. Not sure why it seems so good as I do pretty much the same recipe every time - and I have done about a dozen -, maybe the different coffee is better or so.

[​IMG]

Did you make this? Care to share the recipe?

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

MM - It might not be as pretty, but if you score the skin it will keep the fish from buckling up like that.

Dude, that is about as close to flat as you can get a piece of skin-on fish like that.