• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I'm in this camp but I suspect its more from never having it prepared "properly". I was at one of those Argentinian grills and they had tripe on the grill along with sweetbreads. Both tasted like vomit.
Sweetbreads are really great, and in no way related to tripe. Sweetbreads have always been a super delicacy, and aren't really part of this whole eat innards revival. Tripe has always been the cheapest cut possible, and, in my opinion, for good reason. Edit: The above refers to veal sweetbreads. Beef ones are disgusting.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Sweetbreads are really great, and in no way related to tripe. Sweetbreads have always been a super delicacy, and aren't really part of this whole eat innards revival. Tripe has always been the cheapest cut possible, and, in my opinion, for good reason. Edit: The above refers to veal sweetbreads. Beef ones are disgusting.
I'm sure they were beef. I can't imagine this place sprung for veal anything. Sadly, I have yet to try out veal sweetbreads.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
They did it wrong
Not if the actual texture is what induced the gag reflex- that's always the problem for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I'm sure they were beef. I can't imagine this place sprung for veal anything. Sadly, I have yet to try out veal sweetbreads.
As a general rule, innards from young animals are preferred. Not always the case, but in general.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Not if the actual texture is what induced the gag reflex- that's always the problem for me.

he said taste.

i've never had beef sweetbreads btw.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As a general rule, innards from young animals are preferred. Not always the case, but in general.
Good to know. Thanks.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The first time I had tripe was in a menudo in a crappy Mexican restaurant in the Bay Area. It looked like a bowl of blubbery innards in thick red sauce, and it smelled like poopy barnyard. It tasted exactly like it looked. I think I managed two bites. I've since had much better menudo but I have to admit I've never craved it. I'm happy with a good pozole.

dacox

Reaction score
I eat tripe all the time here in China. Most commonly I have it boiled in sichuan hotpot, but tomorrow I'm going to a restaurant that has a dish or tripe braised in a soy mixture that's also pretty good.

The first time I had it though it was boiled then mixed with raw beef, lemon grass, chilis, lime, cilantro and a couple other things in a Laos style beef tartar. It gave a really nice contrast in texture to the raw beef.

Makes me think, I should start getting pictures of these dishes that I cook/order loaded on my computer and bring a little more Asian flavor to this thread.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time poster on this thread -
Ate at Providence in Los Angeles this evening. Full tasting menu (not Chef's Menu). Stellar fish preparations - especially a great Halibut preparation, some awesome Uni (prepared with soft scrambled egg) and a great grapefruit sorbet w/ yogurt. It was a really nice meal with pleasant service and not too expensive.
Would recommend.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Now as a special treat courtesy of our friends at the Meat Council, please help yourself to this tripe!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
First time poster on this thread -
Ate at Providence in Los Angeles this evening. Full tasting menu (not Chef's Menu). Stellar fish preparations - especially a great Halibut preparation, some awesome Uni (prepared with soft scrambled egg) and a great grapefruit sorbet w/ yogurt. It was a really nice meal with pleasant service and not too expensive.
Would recommend.

michael's a really good chef. one of the 2 or 3 really big deal restaurants in los angeles i spend my own money at.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm in the tripe-loving camp, but it has to be prepared right. i love that little hint of stink ... like the barnyard in a great burgundy. more than that is offputting. try as i might, i have never gotten down with chittlins, for example.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW, your sauce probably broke because...

he took it away from the heat and brought it back.

a bain marie is suboptimal, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads