What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I'm in this camp but I suspect its more from never having it prepared "properly". I was at one of those Argentinian grills and they had tripe on the grill along with sweetbreads. Both tasted like vomit.
    Sweetbreads are really great, and in no way related to tripe. Sweetbreads have always been a super delicacy, and aren't really part of this whole eat innards revival. Tripe has always been the cheapest cut possible, and, in my opinion, for good reason. Edit: The above refers to veal sweetbreads. Beef ones are disgusting.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Sweetbreads are really great, and in no way related to tripe. Sweetbreads have always been a super delicacy, and aren't really part of this whole eat innards revival. Tripe has always been the cheapest cut possible, and, in my opinion, for good reason. Edit: The above refers to veal sweetbreads. Beef ones are disgusting.
    I'm sure they were beef. I can't imagine this place sprung for veal anything. Sadly, I have yet to try out veal sweetbreads.

3. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

They did it wrong
    Not if the actual texture is what induced the gag reflex- that's always the problem for me.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I'm sure they were beef. I can't imagine this place sprung for veal anything. Sadly, I have yet to try out veal sweetbreads.
    As a general rule, innards from young animals are preferred. Not always the case, but in general.

5. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Not if the actual texture is what induced the gag reflex- that's always the problem for me.

he said taste.

i've never had beef sweetbreads btw.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

As a general rule, innards from young animals are preferred. Not always the case, but in general.
    Good to know. Thanks.

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

The first time I had tripe was in a menudo in a crappy Mexican restaurant in the Bay Area. It looked like a bowl of blubbery innards in thick red sauce, and it smelled like poopy barnyard. It tasted exactly like it looked. I think I managed two bites. I've since had much better menudo but I have to admit I've never craved it. I'm happy with a good pozole.

8. dacox

dacox Senior member

I eat tripe all the time here in China. Most commonly I have it boiled in sichuan hotpot, but tomorrow I'm going to a restaurant that has a dish or tripe braised in a soy mixture that's also pretty good.

The first time I had it though it was boiled then mixed with raw beef, lemon grass, chilis, lime, cilantro and a couple other things in a Laos style beef tartar. It gave a really nice contrast in texture to the raw beef.

Makes me think, I should start getting pictures of these dishes that I cook/order loaded on my computer and bring a little more Asian flavor to this thread.

9. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

First time poster on this thread -
    Ate at Providence in Los Angeles this evening. Full tasting menu (not Chef's Menu). Stellar fish preparations - especially a great Halibut preparation, some awesome Uni (prepared with soft scrambled egg) and a great grapefruit sorbet w/ yogurt. It was a really nice meal with pleasant service and not too expensive.
    Would recommend.

10. thomastom682

thomastom682 New Member

11. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Last night I had eaten the chicken.

And did you like it, the chicken?

12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Now as a special treat courtesy of our friends at the Meat Council, please help yourself to this tripe!

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    First time poster on this thread -
    Ate at Providence in Los Angeles this evening. Full tasting menu (not Chef's Menu). Stellar fish preparations - especially a great Halibut preparation, some awesome Uni (prepared with soft scrambled egg) and a great grapefruit sorbet w/ yogurt. It was a really nice meal with pleasant service and not too expensive.
    Would recommend.

michael's a really good chef. one of the 2 or 3 really big deal restaurants in los angeles i spend my own money at.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i'm in the tripe-loving camp, but it has to be prepared right. i love that little hint of stink ... like the barnyard in a great burgundy. more than that is offputting. try as i might, i have never gotten down with chittlins, for example.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

BTW, your sauce probably broke because...

he took it away from the heat and brought it back.

a bain marie is suboptimal, though.