What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Honestly, this is your best looking plate to date.

Had similar thoughts...mm, how was the consistency?

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Thanks. I think it was one of the tastiest, too.
    Had similar thoughts...mm, how was the consistency?
    Very nice. I'd relate the texture to that of the clams in a clam chowder. I'm not sure how the consistency of tripe should be exactly, as this was my first time, but it had a pleasant chew to it, while still being tender.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

I know what you mean, but i wouldn't go that far. It definitely does look like a nice plate of tripe.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

T
    Very nice. I'd relate the texture to that of the clams in a clam chowder. I'm not sure how tripe should taste exactly, as this was my first time, but it had a pleasant chew to it, while still being tender.

i'm always amazed when people cook things they've never tasted before. i guess we all have at one point or another. great tripe shouldn't be actually chewy, it takes a really silky texture when it's cooked long enough. still, looks good!

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Looks good for tripes. I think I will have to try it out sometimes.

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

i'm always amazed when people cook things they've never tasted before. i guess we all have at one point or another. great tripe shouldn't be actually chewy, it takes a really silky texture when it's cooked long enough. still, looks good!

Yeah. Next time I'd probably boil it for a bit longer. I kept it in the pot for about 2 hours before taking it out to cut it up. It's all a learning experience, I suppose.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Yeah. Next time I'd probably boil it for a bit longer. I kept it in the pot for about 2 hours before taking it out to cut it up. It's all a learning experience, I suppose.
    Try about six hours next time.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

there's lots of weird superstitions about tripe, too. one italian chef i know swears that putting wine corks in the pot with the tripe makes it more tender. weirdly, i tried it side by side and it kind of did. don't know if that's the power of suggestion or if it was real. one of my old favorite bistros (sadly departed) used to serve tripe that was braised in sheets, then breaded and fried. tablier du sapeur. amazing. come to think of it, my favorite taco stand does a tripe taco ... braised tripe crisped on the griddle, on a fresh corn tortilla. that's great, too.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Try about six hours next time.

i'm not sure about 6, but definitely at least 3.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Well yeah, the cork thing. Wasn't there the rumour that it helps to make calamari or squid faster tender, too? [​IMG]

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

i'm not sure about 6, but definitely at least 3.
    I have to admit, I detest the taste of tripe. It tastes dirty to me in an unpleasant way. One restaurant here, Perbacco, makes a relatively good alla Romana, but I still don't like it. I got 6 hours from your boy TK, I think. If not, from somebody who was quoting him. It's a lot easier to cook in Europe, because you can buy them pre-boiled at the butcher shop, which means your kitchen doesn't need to smell like poop for an entire day.

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Marcella Hazan says 2.5 hours are fine. She doesn't write anything about preboiled tripe though. (Edit: might be because even though she is Italian it was published in the US first.. whatever, I think boiling it by yourself improves the quality - you know where/in what and for how long it was cooked -, won't it?!)

13. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

come to think of it, my favorite taco stand does a tripe taco ... braised tripe crisped on the griddle, on a fresh corn tortilla. that's great, too.

Funny, I just had a tripe taco (from a legitimately good taqueria in Charlottesville, Virginia, of all places). Really, really salty; would've been tasty otherwise. But it certainly wasn't crisped on the griddle.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I have to admit, I detest the taste of tripe.
    I'm in this camp but I suspect its more from never having it prepared "properly". I was at one of those Argentinian grills and they had tripe on the grill along with sweetbreads. Both tasted like vomit.

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

sweetbreads... tasted like vomit.

They did it wrong