1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm sorry, I can't post right now, I am off to lunch with Brett Easton Ellis.

Toodles!

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

"That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking"

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I'm not harping on the audience, rather questioning why the somms would serve something that they know will underdeliver despite the prestige name. My assumptions was because they figured the audience wouldnt know better or wouldn't care.

I still think that.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I have to say, the blanket statement that white wines go with cheese better than red has me nettled too. While I agree that some cheeses go with some whites better than said cheeses go with some reds I just do not think the blanket statement holds up. Now, I have had an MS tell me his opinion is folks got used to pairing reds with cheese automatically was from the fact the cheese course tends to come later in a meal, so everyone has moved on to reds and the association grew that way.

However, I think there is a lot more action than just saying except for port whites go better with cheese than reds.

Also, FWIW, I still chuckle everytime I think of the reply concerning me joking how horrible Merry Edwards Sauv. Blanc is. :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

lol at name dropping. classy move

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

+1 :laugh:

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Now I feel like posting these pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    not wanting to get in the way of a good snark-fest (and at the same time not wishing too much to feed the monster that is known as mgm), but:
    --i'm not sure white wines go better with most cheeses, but wines with a little sweetness do (the sweetness balances the salt) and wines with a little sweetness do tend to be white.
    --serving young wines at these dinners is completely the norm (which is why i rarely go to them ... though if it was at Daniel I might). the reason is that the restaurant usually gets these wines on allotment from the distributor at a very deeply discounted price ... they're exercises in setting up the retail market for the wines, not showcasing the restaurant's list.
    --that said, complaining about serving a 2007 burgundy as robbing the cradle is just silly. Granted, the wine will be better in 5 years, but pinots are almost always remarkably approachable on release, as opposed to cabs and syrahs.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Choosing wine for cheese is tricky. Not only is salt an issue, but so are the meaty aromas cheeses develop. 99.9/100 I just continue with what I was drinking and am never bothered.

10. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

The scorn of you wine snobs is as tepid as my feelings toward this Russian River Valley cab. Notes of passion fruit? How gauche.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Does anyone in RRV even grow cab?

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

:laugh: My mistake, it seems as if 4% of the vineyards in the RRV are Cab.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Regarding cheese, I'm kind of with Matt. It is hard to perfectly nail a wine and cheese pairing (especially because it's not often that you only eat one cheese at a time, at least IME), but there is a large range of wine styles that go well enough with cheese as to not be offensive.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

in real life, i usually just finish whatever red i served with the main. but if you're trying to actually match the wine to the cheese, i think you'll have a better percentage of hits with things like sauternes, riesling, vouvray (slightly sweet), than you will with red, particularly the more tannic reds. salty foods really emphasize tannin structure.
    but yes, as matt said, if pairing wine and food is a challenge, pairing wine and cheese (particularly if you're offering a selection) is even more so.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Jesus, you wine snobs are killing me. Get a glass of wine, a hunk of cheese, and go watch the sunset. Bunch of picky bastards.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Some of us make our living off of being picky bastards.
    Underappreciated and overly arrogant picky bastards, but picky bastards none the less.

17. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

FTFY

18. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Beer and cheese? I never...

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

NOW you're speaking my language. :nodding:

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm sure it will go lovely with your fig plate.