What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

All this scrambled egg talk has me craving some pretty badly now. Need to find nearest restaurant where white people breakfasts are served, in this land of austerity.

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Breakfast: Boston Cream, single single [​IMG] Lunch: Ate at Duck Fat in Portland ME. Cool little place, alcohol prices are a little high, food isnt priced too bad. Beef tongue reuben and their signature duck fat fries with thai chili mayo. [​IMG] [​IMG] Best fries I've ever had. Probably going back later for their poutine.

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Wiener/Viennese Schnitzel (damn they shrink so much... anyone knows what to do against these black spots? guess they come from the breadcrumbs that "detach" from the coating & burn in the fat?!)

[​IMG]

Panna Cotta (could have spent some more time in the fridge but was just okay) with (lots of) rasperry sauce (non-strained)

[​IMG]

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

^ Nice stuff.

5. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

b1os: you have to flatten the meat more cause that one looks a bit thick, and the black spots are maybe there cause the oil was too hot. Du musst sie ordentlich klopfen bevor Du sie in die Pfanne haust! [​IMG] p.s. I like Hamburg, I spent some time there in my childhood. Grüße aus Wien!

p.s. the traditional side-dish for Schnitzel is cucumber salad, nowadays we always eat potato salad with it, maybe a bit of lemon and never- as I have seen it done in Germany- capers.

6. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Looks lovely, though I am not a huge salmon fan. Is that raw?

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Yes. I poured just a bit of lemon juice over it before eating.

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Thanks.

It was very delicious. Even if you don't like salmon, I'd recommend buying some--very fresh--and trying a raw preparation like that. Otherwise, I don't cook much with salmon, either.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

M&M, your presentations have gone from 0-100 in four seconds flat. Looks great.

12. randallr

randallr Senior member

He finally got some white plates. I need to start posting pictures of my skills for you noobs. [​IMG]

13. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I don't know what it is--it might be the white china--but I went away for a month and didn't cook once for over 30 days. Perhaps I was just starved to come back to cooking, and presentation, in a new way.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

b1os: you have to flatten the meat more cause that one looks a bit thick, and the black spots are maybe there cause the oil was too hot.
    The meat was tenderized to about 0.12-0.22 inch (3-6 mm). So not really too thick. It might look "thick" b/c of the coating. Also, the oil wasn't too hot. Was between 302° and 338° all the time - max is 356°. So no smoke or so.
    p.s. the traditional side-dish for Schnitzel is cucumber salad, nowadays we always eat potato salad with it, maybe a bit of lemon and never- as I have seen it done in Germany- capers.
    Actually we/I wanted to do a cucumber-potato-salad. Unfortunately I bought starchy potatoes instead of "normal" ones... [​IMG] Never been to Wien yet, but heard it's a nice city - isn't it he most livably city in the world? [​IMG]

15. SField

SField Senior member

The meat was tenderized to about 0.12-0.22 inch (3-6 mm). So not really too thick. It might look "thick" b/c of the coating.
    Also, the oil wasn't too hot. Was between 302° and 338° all the time - max is 356°. So no smoke or so.

Actually we/I wanted to do a cucumber-potato-salad. Unfortunately I bought starchy potatoes instead of "normal" ones... [​IMG]

Never been to Wien yet, but heard it's a nice city - isn't it he most livably city in the world? [​IMG]

Most livable if you can stand to live with fucking austrians.