1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I thought that minus the zucchini flesh the blossoms looked great. I actually tried an mm influenced dish today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

No. I was there from 8:15 until about 12:15 (pacing was terrible), so we definately overlapped. I was at the five top cramped in the corner by the kitchen entrance with servers tripping over my chair all night.

3. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Sounds like total aggravation.

4. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

follow up: Cucumber flowers are really nice in salads. I am happy I have so many growing. I am sad that I burned that cheese on top, although it was still tasty.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

That doesn't look too burned. Borage flowers taste a lot like cucumber as well, though I think I've mentioned that.

6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Do these bloom year round? I'd love to have some on hand.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not sure. They are really blooming now, though.

8. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

The borage I planted is taking over my garden. I put it too close to my other herbs. I have to transplant it, I think.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

What kind of cheese did you use? Pratomagno melts very nicely. I think I used Comte when I made that stuffed squash, myself.

10. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I just used a nice parmesan, which was a little strong, but all I had on hand.

Matt, I bought some FraMani Soppressata at a local cheese store this weekend. So delicious.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Really nicely fired aged ribeyes with caramelized onions and some Brussel's and garlic baked off. So good.

These ribyes were huge and I have probably a pound of meat left between our two steaks. I'm going to slice them up tonight, sweat some shallots, mushrooms, and garlic, add some capers and olive oil and toss with some low glycemic index pasta. A little Parm and I'm in business.

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

They make nice chorizo, as well. I like their sweet salami best.

13. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Speaking of cured meats, does anyone make a habit of buying American prosciutto/serrano-type hams? Lately I've been getting stuff from some place in Wisconsin and our own Benton's (of Benton's Bacon fame) "prosciutto" and my impression so far is you've got to pay about 2.5x the money to get comparable quality from Spanish or Italian stuff.

To contribute - last night I had Cordoban-style Gazpacho from Cherokee Purple tomatoes and topped with diced egg and some of the aforementioned American ham mixed in. Olives and some Nevat on the side, with the 2006 Lioco Michaud Chardonnay.

14. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Low glycemic index pasta? Is that whole wheat or spelt or yet something else (buckwheat?)?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

16. Nil

Nil Senior member

Maybe it's just me, but whole wheat pasta is up there with brown rice as "healthy" alternatives that blow. I can't think of anything I've eaten that could have been improved by substituting those in for regular pasta or rice.

17. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

This. I'm not worried about the 1.5 oz of pasta I eat at a time. I am still losing weight without substituting flavorless stuff like that.
    But whatevz. What works for piob works for piob.

18. SField

SField Senior member

+1 I'd rather just eat less of the real thing.

19. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Come on, guys, there are some excellent whole-wheat pasta dishes. Anything with bitter greens is a good match.

20. KJT

KJT Senior member

Dinner was nothing special - some chicken and zucchini grilled up, with rice.

Dessert was nice, pear custard pie. Basically pear slices baked in a custard:

[​IMG]

and the cleaning crew followed up to make sure there was no powdered sugar on the floor:

[​IMG]