1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

and that shit was too funny! he might consider writing for SNL or something.... "I think!"

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

No interwebz as he tries to deal with moving away from the crackhead roommate.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That's what happens when you get to be old.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Dude, if I do the math right...it is just past midnight for you when I wake up. :shudder:

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Maybe a little hearty for the time of year, but delicious.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    lovely. and coldest winter, summer in san francisco and all that, huh?

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

So is that potato dish the new SF trend? Manton truly is the SF-tastemaker, as it were.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Im confused as to what that potato thing is, but it looks delicious.

9. KJT

KJT Senior member

Question - was there water from the tomatoes on top? It seems like whenever I put fresh tomatoes on my pizzas, they leak a lot of liquid when cooked, even when I remove the seeds and stuff.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

KJT, did you try using plum tomatoes? They naturally contain far less liquid than "normal", round ones.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

ive never noticed any water leakage - most of the 'sheen' is either garlic butter or just shitty iphone camera.

12. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

How do I make those potatoes??

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

14. SField

SField Senior member

Hmm... I might be getting up on my soap box a little here about seasonal eating but I don't buy this whole business of something being too hearty for summer.

Matt, neither you nor I toil in the fields or even spend much time not in absurdly comfortable surroundings. I don't know what your professional life is like, but there are sometimes stretches of weeks where there could be the most apocalyptic heat, or the diametric opposite happening outside and I wouldn't know. The only thing that would matter would be that for dinner that night, I was craving pommes anna and some braised chicken thighs in a lovely unctuous sauce. And I'd eat that if it was as hot as the surface of the sun outside, as long as I'm not fucking outside when it happens.

Seasonal eating has practical purposes to be sure, you get better things at certain times of the year... but the reality of modern living for many of us; who can take a certain degree of comfort and non-subsistence living for granted, shouldn't feel so restricted by the whole OMG ROOT VEGETABLES AND BRAISES ONLY IN WINTER hysteria (not what matt is about but you do hear it a little too often.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  15. otc

otc Senior member

While it probably doesn't matter so much in matt's house with fancy things like kitchen ventilation and central air...but I definitely have an aversion to the hearty stuff in the middle of the summer.

Obviously if I want something, I will go ahead and eat it--but when it is hot out, I find myself being less interested in heavy foods. I want something light with crisp flavors that will cut through the summer lethargy.

As for things that cook for a long time in an oven like a braise...they make my place hot as hell. Some BBQ would be fine since it is done outdoors, but doing a braise in my oven gets uncomfortable since my kitchen is open to my dining area so I end up eating in too much heat.

When I've got the heat on, doing a braise just means that I save a few pennies on my heating bill.

16. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I'll Eat a yam any day of the year.

17. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

+ Oh hell yes :nodding:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  18. salavanti

salavanti Member

I think the constructive criticism could be a little more positive.......

don't slam the plate ......say how you would improve it...

without attacking the guy....

just my take

Sal

19. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Looks delicious. Despite the heat here, I've been craving chicken in a vinegar sauce. I also think it's never too hot to enjoy a lamb chop.

20. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

This is how I pictured mm coooking; standing in his 65 degree central air with a hoody on over some enormous Viking range, cooking the hell out of his vegetable sides.

Only seasonal stuff over here, and we've had bad weather so little fist-sized iceberg heads were like $5 a piece the other day. I don't have AC and I live on the 8th floor of my building too. =( The only thing I want to consume for the next couple months is probably just ice cold lagers and maybe a ham sandwich here and there.