• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
No offense taken. They were a gift for my mother; they aren't exactly my style anyway. I appreciate your input, and I think that learning proper presentation is all a part of the process. What kind of plates would you recommend? Something like these perhaps? http://www.mbswholesale.co.uk/acatalog/Grafitti.html I put a splash of Madeira in the pan after cooking to deglaze, so that might be what you're seeing. But, yes, next time I'll let it rest longer, regardless. Sounds delicious. I'll be sure to try this next time. I'd imagine the color of the purple cauliflower would make for a pleasing presentation.
Something basic like that would be a great start. I might go for something a bit flatter, but those are good. The technique I'm talking about is the famous Robuchon pommes puree in a nut shell. You can do it with squash or sweet potato, or celeriac... it just creates a texture and taste that a machine can't. It works very well with butternut squash, as I saw at Bouchon. Purple potato might be harder to do it with because they're so fibrous.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I really like that purple cauliflower in soup; I'll make a white cauliflower soup conventionally and then throw in some frilly parsley when I puree it, and then the purple stuff I'll cut into tiny florets, blanch, and then fold into the soup. It makes for a beautiful floral-esque looking bowl of soup.

I tried the orange variety last week. It lacked moisture, and when roasted, was rather dry. I like purple and white the best.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Something basic like that would be a great start. I might go for something a bit flatter, but those are good. The technique I'm talking about is the famous Robuchon pommes puree in a nut shell. You can do it with squash or sweet potato, or celeriac... it just creates a texture and taste that a machine can't. It works very well with butternut squash, as I saw at Bouchon.
Well then, I'll have to look for a ricer at Williams-Sonoma this week. I don't even know what to use this food processor for. Not sure what possessed me to buy it in the first place.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Those graffiti sets have the potential to be the Glencairn glasses of this thread. Styleforum approved.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the wine was the Hansel Cuvee Alyce style and it was a phenomenal pinot. One of the better bottles of wine I've had this year. I am going to track some more down and gift it to my mother this summer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm trying a sous vide experiment today. Instead of seasoning my duck legs over night in the fridge, then rinsing and bagging for sous vide confit, I'm putting a little diced garlic, springs of thyme, salt, and a tablespoon of duck fat in the bag and dropping them in the sous vide. Will report back on results as this will remove a couple steps in sous vide confit if it works well.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_0096.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This new method of confit worked perfectly. Matt, are you listening?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This new method of confit worked perfectly. Matt, are you listening?
Glad to hear. I save my confit, so I think salting them before works better, as there is less water in teh bag, and they can sit a lot longer with me feeling comfortable. Interesting how little fat you really need.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Glad to hear. I save my confit, so I think salting them before works better, as there is less water in teh bag, and they can sit a lot longer with me feeling comfortable. Interesting how little fat you really need.

I think you are correct and that salting them before gives a better result. I also would really like to try your confit, made the old fashioned way, double fat sealed and left to sit for some time. I'm sure that confit is more flavorful. This experiment, as probably most experiments are, was born out of necessity. I forgot to season the duck Friday night.
blush.gif

However, it turned out a pretty good result so I'll keep it in the arsenal.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think you are correct and that salting them before gives a better result. I also would really like to try your confit, made the old fashioned way, double fat sealed and left to sit for some time. I'm sure that confit is more flavorful. This experiment, as probably most experiments are, was born out of necessity. I forgot to season the duck Friday night.
blush.gif

However, it turned out a pretty good result so I'll keep it in the arsenal.

I read somewhere that the fat doesn't contribute much to the outcome, and is just for preservation. Your experiment seems to confirm that. I'm just lazy, so I make a bunch and keep it in the fridge. Cooked that long in a bag at that temp and held at fridge temp, it is pretty much good forever, though I wouldn't advise people to do what I do w/r/t safety standards here.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did girl and goat. My initial impressions were: A dud on several levels, particularly given the insane hype surrounding this place. Service: 4/10. While they did fold my napkin when I went to the restroom, the waitress basically yelled at my fiance when we ordered 6 items, rather than the "recommended" 9. She then proceeded to write a couple things down when she waivered between two items, insisting that "you'll need both". Food: 5/10. We ended up ordering 10 (9+1) items from the menu ranging from the goat loin to the doughnuts. None struck a cord with me, although none were bad. That said, when an 18-year old boy says "this is good comfort food" you can't consider yourself a haut-cuisine place. Atmosphere: 8/10. The highlight, although the incandescent bulb, old wood, french-barn theme is getting massively overdone. The napkins in the restroom were of middling quality, and I'd say that overall, the napkin-test held true. This is a middling restaurant. Oh yeah, and we didn't finish all the food. Too much. So here's what we ordered: Bread with beer-bacon compote, Roasted Cauliflower (pickled peppers . pine nuts . mint), chickpea fritters ( romesco . hazelnut hummus . sesame . goat feta), squash ravioli ( mushroom raisin ragout . brussels leaves . shroom creme fraiche), shaved Kohlrabi salad (fennel . evalon . toasted sliced almonds . ginger dressing), lamb sausage stuffed calamari (sweet garlic . sweetbread crisp . currant saor), braised beef tongue (masa . beef vinaigrette . salsa verde), Walter's Chicken (yuzu harissa . fried pickles . shaved brussels . grilled naan), Goat Loin, Pomme Frites, and Sesame Semifreddo ( pork fat donuts . sambal pineapple). Nothing was fundamentally exciting about the ingredients, or the preparation. Example of poor execution: Lamb Sausage stuffed calamari. Putting those two together is creative, but the sum of the parts did not equal or exceed just having some good lamb sausage and calamari prepared in a typical way. They took an unnecessarily avant-garde preparation, I assume for the sake of being avant-garde, not because they came up with something amazing. Now that I've had time to digest, I feel compelled to say this place is bogus. They charge $4 for bread with beer-bacon compote. The bread was sold to us as "extra sour" and yet wasn't sour at all, or warmed to a serveable temperature. To me, it appeared to be a nice way of fleecing customers of $4 that they typically would expect from a restaurant of this purported caliber. Select pictures:
217152_804953075445_2410369_40423539_4298971_n.jpg
Aforementioned calamari with lamb sausage
217107_804953015565_2410369_40423536_507330_n-1.jpg
Chickpea Fritters
216624_804953220155_2410369_40423545_326117_n.jpg
Doughnuts and ice cream
216074_804952561475_2410369_40423520_1881851_n.jpg
The Bar was cool.
216143_804953260075_2410369_40423547_7460145_n.jpg
I'd eat at Avec a million times before returning here.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that as long you temper your expectations to what Girl and the Goat is... a sort of country bistro, then you won't go in there expecting Charlie Trotters and walk away all pissed off. Stephanie Izzard is a gifted fat chef. She likes crispy, gooey, ***** things and that's what you'll get. I don't know why people go there and think they'll be eating at El Bulli then flip out when that isn't what they get.

It's a slightly more refined version of a neighborhood restaurant, and a pleasant one at that. To call it middling makes me wonder exactly where you dine with regularity. I mean, my fine dining habits are ridiculous even by the standards of some food critics (there was a time when a very significant portion of my discretionary budget went to fine dining,) and even then I'd only be able to coat hangers and the Goat middling with tongue very firmly in cheek with a conspicuous and very self aware eye rolling to go with it.

Seriously dude, are you the critic from Ratatouille?

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha, I know nothing about food. I figured that with glowing reviews by the likes of Kwil, this place was worth the mobs of hipster-adulators it has. My reasoning for the middling title is because imo, it was no better than a 17/30 on the service, food, atmosphere scale. You're totally right that it's SUPPOSED to be just a country take on the neighborhood restaurant, except I found the entire place dissonant on what it was trying to be (country take on the neighborhood restaurant):

1. See comment about bread. WTF. $4 means nothing, it's the fact that they have the audacity to charge for that. This is America, land of the free (bread).

2. Service was bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads