What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I thought KW prefers grappa for his post meal drink.

Don't worry, Matt tries to make me drink firewater post meals too.

2. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

I think visiting my cousin will be a good excuse to dine with Matt. Or perhaps dining with Matt will be a good excuse to visit my cousin. You down for dinner ? I can pick up shibbel on the way though I prefer not to drive ...

Tonight will have a "stew" made with chicken breast first with browned onions turmeric very little sea salt and perhaps a dash of pepper, then left to simmer with dried plums or prunes, carrot, potato. Served over a bed of rice with prepared so as to brown the bottom to a delicious golden crisp ("tahdig") and flavored with cumin seeds.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Sounds delicious.

4. the shah

if i had something other than 35mm and MF film cameras i'd share pics but, as you might be able to tell from my fit pics, not much detail is captured with my apparati tangential note: i'm interested in these but i doubt they will live up to the quality of well-developed film or DSLRs

5. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

tangential note: i'm interested in these but i doubt they will live up to the quality of well-developed film or DSLRs

whoa, that's really cool.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

This thread has gone off the rails delightfully in my absence. Carry on.

RE: parental cooking habits - it was either Burger King with the Chicken sandwich, large fries, and large onion rings, or Shake and Bake chicken (Italian I think), with Kraft macaroni and cheese, plus a side of potato's or corn.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

good lord - surely you guys didn't eat the same two things everyday for 18 years of your life, right? I think kids growing up in crack houses might get better food than what some of you guys are describing.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

My mother used to cook for us every night. Most nights we had two separate meals, since my dad is a vegetarian. We ate out maybe once every month, but my brother made that more difficult. She was always a decent cook, although she fell into the trap that it seems a lot of homemakers fall into: not enjoying cooking because it was just a part of the job. I used to give her shit about her cooking, because I was an ungrateful little fuck. Now I find myself missing her cooking almost every day. When I go home, we argue for 20 minutes every day b/c I want her to cook b/c I miss it and she wants me to cook b/c I'm good at it.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

My mother had a very interesting chicken recipe. She would bake the hell out of breasts, no seasoning, skin on. She would take the skin off, and unknown to us, eat it in the kitchen. She would serve us the denuded breasts telling us the skins had been tossed as that's where all the fat is. I think I should mention, my mother has always been obese.

10. ama

ama Senior member

My mother had a very interesting chicken recipe. She would bake the hell out of breasts, no seasoning, skin on. She would take the skin off, and unknown to us, eat it in the kitchen. She would serve us the denuded breasts telling us the skins had been tossed as that's where all the fat is. I think I should mention, my mother has always been obese.

Your poasts have been depressing. I'm sorry. [​IMG]

11. the shah

had a friend who ate mayonaise sandwiches and sugar water to drink as a kid. his mom still sends him welfare milk regularly. he has over 20 pairs of Jordans [​IMG]

12. impolyt_one

had a friend who ate mayonaise sandwiches and sugar water to drink as a kid. his mom still sends him welfare milk regularly. he has over 20 pairs of Jordans [​IMG]

I think we know the same guy. And his mom follows his facebook feed and posts comments on my food pics as well. [​IMG]

13. impolyt_one

My mother used to cook for us every night. Most nights we had two separate meals, since my dad is a vegetarian. We ate out maybe once every month, but my brother made that more difficult. She was always a decent cook, although she fell into the trap that it seems a lot of homemakers fall into: not enjoying cooking because it was just a part of the job. I used to give her shit about her cooking, because I was an ungrateful little fuck. Now I find myself missing her cooking almost every day. When I go home, we argue for 20 minutes every day b/c I want her to cook b/c I miss it and she wants me to cook b/c I'm good at it.

I just quoted this and sent it to my mother just now. (I would've attributed it to 'kwilk' but I just said 'some guy on styleforum just said this' to keep things uncomplicated [​IMG]) Sounds very much like my family, I know she will appreciate it.

14. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Hood rich. I get it. I'm hood bougie.

15. the shah

Yup, dude used to sling crack and sell stolen electronics and shoot dice with his auntie ... Well my dinner was delicious now gotta work it off [​IMG]