• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wed - iskander kabab, sort of like the way god intended Donner to be - meat sliced from a vertical spit, with a tomato, butter sauce.

thursday - mixed lebanese messa and then mixed grill overlooking red sea. kubbe, humous, grape leaves, then lamb chop, kabab, and a piece of grilled chicken.

Friday - really nice airplane food - a chicken tangine and baklava on emirates business.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it is mango season in Mumbai - got a box of 24 for just under $10 at the airport - I was ripped off by all accounts, but I didn't have time to go shopping. best tasting mango you can imagine, indians are religious about mangos - I offered some to the hotel staff, and they told me that they were waiting a few weeks, the mangos weren't at their peak yet and they only ate them during the few weeks that they were at the peak.

so, mangos for dinner

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
it is mango season in Mumbai - got a box of 24 for just under $10 at the airport - I was ripped off by all accounts, but I didn't have time to go shopping. best tasting mango you can imagine, indians are religious about mangos - I offered some to the hotel staff, and they told me that they were waiting a few weeks, the mangos weren't at their peak yet and they only ate them during the few weeks that they were at the peak.

so, mangos for dinner

Are they Alphonso's? Apparently the most highly prized varietal....

W just signed some legislation - Indian mangoes are USA bound!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(but will probably be 10X the price of their Mexican/Carribean bretheren
frown.gif
)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cheeseburger, hot dog, fries, corn, water. Healthy!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Are they Alphonso's? Apparently the most highly prized varietal....

W just signed some legislation - Indian mangoes are USA bound!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(but will probably be 10X the price of their Mexican/Carribean bretheren
frown.gif
)

Alphonsos - much much better than anything I have been able to get in the states. I bought a box of 24 and ate about 4 and put 4 in my bag, and gave the rest to the bellmen in my hotel, they thought I was santa claus.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Source: Landsberger. In August 1968, Mao Zedong received a delegation from Pakistan, headed by the foreign minister. At that occasion, he was presented with a basket of mangoes. According to some stories, Mao actually disliked mangoes, but the fruits were given an important and symbolic role in the complex political situation of the Cultural Revolution. For Mao did not eat the mangoes himself, but presented all seven of them to a corresponding number of Worker-Peasant Mao Zedong Thought Propaganda Teams that were active in the capital. ...
mango01.jpg
The factories and universities that received the mangoes were overfilled with joy at this Great, Greatest, Happiest of Events. Many became obsessed with the question how to preserve the gift. In one case, the mango was put in a small glass box, engraved with an inscription and an image of Mao with rays of sunshine emanating from his head. The Beijing People's Printing Agency, on the other hand, decided to place the mango in a jar of formaldehyde, to preserve it for all eternity (according to later reports, this particular mango unfortunately turned black and shriveled). In still another case, the mango was put in a huge tank of water; all employees of the factory were given a small amount of that water to drink and to be literally filled with the spirit of Mao. Although the media had a field day, although pages were filled with mango mania and even posters were published, there is no mention anywhere of someone actually eating one of the fruits. After all, nobody would have been worthy of this privilege but Mao himself. But the fact of the gift itself was celebrated and commemorated.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pastis with various types of olives.

Salade niçoise (the original recipe, except I couldn't find fresh fava beans, so went with baby lima beans, cooked. Delicious, I never knew that kind of dressing could be so perfect)

Linguine alle vongole (very disappointed, the clams had no flavor, they could hardly claim to be from the ocean.)

Crème renversÃ
00a9.png
e au caramel (I don't make desserts often enough, the caramel wasn't dark enough, but it was nonetheless a refreshing end to the meal)

Bottle of 2003 St Francis cabernet, as our guests don't drink white wine.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicken and chili!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Frederic's Berceuse

Reaction score
we had a korikontang (?) soup (rich broth with pork bone , tendon, etc, with garlic and etc) , bowl of rice, jalapenos, samjang, cucumbers, broccolli, kimchi, perilla leaves, soy sauce, etc.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBQ!!
bounce2.gif

On the grill:
- calf liver skewers with pieces of lamb fat
- sweetbreads
- slow roasted whole chicken seasoned with beer
- merguez
- sweet potatoes
- asparagus
- zuchini
- bell peppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
BBQ!!
bounce2.gif

On the grill:
- calf liver skewers with pieces of lamb fat
- sweetbreads
- slow roasted whole chicken seasoned with beer
- merguez
- sweet potatoes
- asparagus
- zuchini
- bell peppers

Wow, that sounds great!

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
two turkey sandwiches
lays bbq potato chips
a banana
vanilla ice cream

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads