What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. track309

track309 Senior member

based on the upside-down menu in the picture...

http://www.boucherie-nola.com/

Impressive, man. How did you like your meal there?

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I didn't try it.. ate at Bayona last time I was in town because I hadn't been in a long time and I love the place... I really did read the upside down menu in your first picture.

3. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Last night is like last week... forgot about these. A special collaborative dinner at Lafitte in SF with guest chefs Elizabeth Falker, Dominique Crenn, and James Ornsby joining Russel Jackson. Got a fun seat at the counter to watch everything.

Chefs Ornsby and Falkner:
    [​IMG]

Ornsby's "Tuna Melt"
    Spiced tombo tuna, buratta, ciabatta toast, citrus aioli, stone fruit mutardi, and basil seed pickle
    [​IMG]

Falkner's seared scallops with cilantro corn cakes, hot buttered corn sauce, and avocado
    [​IMG]

Crenn's squab and textured strawberries
    [​IMG]

Jackson brings out the suckling pig:
    [​IMG]

Jackson's triple roast pork
    Iberico, suckling Berkshire, shell beans, and sticky pork sauce
    [​IMG]

Making the Cafe Brulot drink:
    [​IMG]

Collaborative dessert:
    [​IMG]

4. ama

ama Senior member

^ what did they do to the stawberries to make them "textured?"

5. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

Tuna melt or tuna mess?

6. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

^ what did they do to the stawberries to make them "textured?"

From what I can remember, they were roasted, pureed, and dehydrated. You can see the "glassy" dehydrated one in the lower right.

Tuna melt or tuna mess?

When they brought that out, I was wondering if someone had jizzed on my plate.

7. ama

ama Senior member

From what I can remember, they were roasted, pureed, and dehydrated. You can see the "glassy" dehydrated one in the lower right.

Sounds like a lot of effort for a strawberry. Worth it?

When they brought that out, I was wondering if someone had jizzed on my plate.

Special, fresh for the chefs table. The regular tables get that jarred crap.

8. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Sounds like a lot of effort for a strawberry. Worth it?

Special, fresh for the chefs table. The regular tables get that jarred crap.

I would say the dehydrated one seemed more intense, like a fruit-roll up. Although, by the time that course came out, I was pretty much out of it. Actually, by the time the 2nd dish came out I was out of it. They have a new bartender there that I knew from a previous place so there was much drinking on my part... he was the one that did the impromptu gin tasting for me with Cap Rock and Ransom at his old place of work and told me to go to Schwa if I ever found myself in Chicago.

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I flambeed a Korean because Jayvn told me to do so. Yum. Good eatin'.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I flambeed a Korean because Jayvn told me to do so. Yum. Good eatin'.

Did you get a nice plump one or one of them boney stringy ones?

12. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Dinner at Graham Elliot (owned by Graham Elliot Bowles, who is co-host with English kitchen terror Gordon Ramsay on the Fox Network's "Master Chef"). Wonderful - heirloom tomatoes with aerated mozzarella, duck satay with lime curry and coconut froth, root beer-glazed spare rib with fried okra, halibut with locally-foraged chanterelle mushrooms and pumpernickel dust. Great recommendation from Kyle Wilkinson. [​IMG]

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

went to a new french bistro that opened very close to where we live, walking distance. we've heard good reviews, and we really weren't disappointed. very good service and ambiance. had onion soup, and it was about as good as I've had it, then a confit of pork which was excellent - a crispy pices of pork about the size of a deck of playing cards. probrably the best thin cut french fries that I've had in the states. my wife has the soup, and really nice piece of tuna that had been crusted with panko and served with fava beans and tiny new potatos in a dill sauce.

the wine was a disappointment, but that was my fault in choosing, it wasn't off or anything, it just wasn't as good as I hope it would be, I should have stuck with a bottle that I knew.

lemon tart with a pine nut crust.

really a nice meal.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Mrs. Piob made dinner for a change. Slow roasted duck with cauliflower mash. Very good and we've got the cauli mash tweaked so it's quite tasty and a reasonable replacement for the carb-evil mashed potato. Pulled an 06 Siduri Clos Pepe PN.

15. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Senior member

The wife and I decided to go out and try a new Thai restaurant that opened in town this week. Split fried tofu and a salad and then I had pad thai and she had the pineapple duck. It was my first time trying Thai iced tea, which I really enjoyed.

The food was good, and the service was great considering it was their opening weekend. My wife was impressed, which is great since she's really missed Thai food since moving from a big city to our relatively small town. I'm just glad to see another restaurant open in our revived downtown (it had been suffering a slow, almost total death since the 70's).