What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I had my favorite leftover today as well. Hachis Parmentier with lamb.

[​IMG] My ultimate childhood comfort food (though not usually with beef or veal rather than lamb).

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Bayona - New Orleans, Louisiana

Sweetbreads w/ Sherry Mustard sauce
    Pancetta-stuffed rabbit with fried rabbit tenderloin over polenta and collard greens
    Lemon-Lavender Semifredo over shortbread w/ blackberries

Fan-Farking-Tastic

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Bayona - New Orleans, Louisiana

Sweetbreads w/ Sherry Mustard sauce
    Pancetta-stuffed rabbit with fried rabbit tenderloin over polenta and collard greens
    Lemon-Lavender Semifredo over shortbread w/ blackberries

Fan-Farking-Tastic

Bayona is great.

- B

4. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Bayona is great.
    +1. My future in-laws left for a trip to NOLA today, and I told them to go. I also just read that Susan Spicer, the chef there, is suing BP. Assuming you (Ron) are in NOLA for more than one meal, what else is planned?

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Sadly, just the one night.. plus I blew the rest of my wad at Harrah's [​IMG] Had I more time, I would have had lunch @ central market, and then probably gone to K-Paul or Nola. I've also never been to Galatoire's, and I just recently met the chef from CP , so I might have called our mutual friend to see if I could get a hookup there.... want... to...go... back... except that it's like 1000 degrees and HUMID there now.

6. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Sadly, just the one night.. plus I blew the rest of my wad at Harrah's [​IMG] Had I more time, I would have had lunch @ central market, and then probably gone to K-Paul or Nola. I've also never been to Galatoire's, and I just recently met the chef from CP , so I might have called our mutual friend to see if I could get a hookup there.... want... to...go... back... except that it's like 1000 degrees and HUMID there now.
    Not to get off track from the point of this thread, but, in my opinion, if you are going for food quality in NOLA avoid the oldies (Galatoire's, Antoine's, Commander's, and Arnaud's) and stick to the youngsters (August, Stella, and Gautreau's) or some of the smaller, neighborhood places (Clancy's, Brigsten's, Upperline, and Dick and Jenny's). Gautreau's falls into both the youngster and neighborhood categories and is probably the second best place after August, according to most. Of course, there is some charm in some of the old school places, but they just don't do it for me.

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I hear ya - but there is some cachet to the old-school places. CP continually re-invents itself (within reason) as they get new talent. And there's something fun about the guys in Antoine's lighting the table on fire [​IMG] And their Oysters Rockerfeller and Pommes de Terre souffles are really worth a trip.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I hear ya - but there is some cachet to the old-school places. CP continually re-invents itself (within reason) as they get new talent. And there's something fun about the guys in Antoine's lighting the table on fire [​IMG] And their Oysters Rockerfeller and Pommes de Terre souffles are really worth a trip.

+1

9. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

Don't think I have ever had a bad meal at the New Orleans classics, but it's more about " the place to be. "

Friday afternoons at Galatoire's, always downstairs, then to Absinthe house. (never back to work)

Sat evening at Commanders(always upstairs)

Funny you should mention the new restaurants, I just received a list today:

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orle...ants-Nouveaux/

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

It was my girlfriend's birthday yesterday so I decided to make dinner since it's romantic (I also bought a very nice, but expensive, gift too!).

Got ten U-10 Scallops (incredibly fresh) and pan seared them in some butter and evoo in a non-coated pan; I got a decent sear but I might go with some higher smoke point oils next time like clarified butter (didn't have any on me and didn't feel like making it).

I then made a light salsa with papaya, red onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice etc. Pureed some of the salsa to make a sauce. Put it all over a bed of baby spinach.

She loved it and I was happy with my first attempt at scallops [​IMG]

11. BP348

BP348 Senior member

Beef tips with gravy over egg noodles.

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Had a great lunch of vichchoisse and confit de canard.

13. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

had a bowl of strawberries with sugar and devon cream this afternoon. Was nice. And Vino Verde.

14. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Starting a new workout/diet regimen. Dinner: 1/2 large chicken breast, seasoned & grilled; 2 eggs, seasoned & lightly scrambled; banana. Filled me up for 3 hours, so success.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Last night, pesto shrimp with shallots and mushrooms, topped with a little shredded cabbage.

Today, a BBQ that I will be contributing my smoked baby backs to.