• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
went out to the country side today from Lima. on the way out stopped for breakfast at a place that uses a huge pot to cook pork in lard, and serves it on a bun.

then, for lunch, our host roasted pork and chicken in an 55 gallon drum, over charcoal, thowing cinimon and anise on the coal. that was ******* awesome.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
went out to the country side today from Lima. on the way out stopped for breakfast at a place that uses a huge pot to cook pork in lard, and serves it on a bun.
I think I just had a coronary event and went into diabetic shock all at once

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I think I just had a coronary event and went into diabetic shock all at once

its really good, they do it in mexico too, but it is slightly different in each place.

tonight I am going to another one of the top places in Lima, run by the same executive chef as the place I went to on the first day. should be cool.

TheButler

Reaction score
Well, not exactly last night but I had a chance to dine at Michel Rostang last week in Paris. Highlights were the sliver of sardine and a pate to whet the appetite, an unexpectedly good dish of lobster on pureed pees (I say pffft to all you lobster-haters), pigeon stuffed with foie gras in a cherry reduction, and a caramel souffle that was enough to push one over the top.

Yo-han

Reaction score
Partially inspired by stuff i've read in this forum section I tried out making duck fat fries for the first time (wanted to try out horse fat but couldn't get my hands on any). Blanched in vinegar, cooled, then two fry rounds in peanut oil + cooling, finished off with a third fry in duck fat, was magic.

first frying

4739219015_768b1ea31f_b.jpg

after second frying

4739853796_875d4a3a0a_b.jpg

finished product after third frying in duck fat

4739853908_d66fb7aee1_b.jpg

served with grilled dry-aged entrecote, grilled asparagus and corn in butter and home made bearnaise

4739853980_f1d3eef121_b.jpg

Yo-han

Reaction score
not burned, just perfect imo, always finish off fries hard whether it be in oven or fryer, personal preference and all that. think they turned out abit darker than usual cause of the duck fat but taste was on spot.

TheButler

Reaction score
Also ate last week at La Grand Venise in Paris.

Venise? An Italian restaurant in Paris? Why would you eat at an Italian restaurant in Paris?

I asked that too about a year ago when I first was invited there. The answer is because its damned good. Occasionally you need something to contrast with a week of french cooking.

canneloni.jpg

Picture doesn't do the food justice, this was my canneloni, with bolognese sauce on the left and neapolitan on the right. The antipasta is over a dozen dishes alone. And there is nothing to compare to the towering block of caramel and slivered-almond-covered ice cream, accompanied by stewed fruits and sour-whipped-cream-so-thick-you-can-stand-a-shovel-up-in-it-dessert.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally seeing some good summer vegetables, we started with stuffed squash blossoms and ratatouille. Then an acquaintance involved in the new growing of truffles in Australia sent us one, and we had some of it with chicken. We had more of it last night. I have to say, they are indistinguishable from French winter truffles, at least to me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^matt, what is the price of the australian truffles?

I had a really nice meal at a peruvian place today - 5 mixed apetizers, all stuff that you really wouldn't find in a different cuisine - a corn dish, basically big kernals of corn boiled, and then served with a local vegetable and cream sauce, slices of potato in another type of sauce, a stuffed potato with meat, raisins and olives, a fried pork thing, and a tomale type thing. then, 8 differnt types of balls of mashed potatos with stuff on them - mostly mixed seafood salads. then a chicken stew.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
^matt, what is the price of the australian truffles?

I had a really nice meal at a peruvian place today - 5 mixed apetizers, all stuff that you really wouldn't find in a different cuisine - a corn dish, basically big kernals of corn boiled, and then served with a local vegetable and cream sauce, slices of potato in another type of sauce, a stuffed potato with meat, raisins and olives, a fried pork thing, and a tomale type thing. then, 8 differnt types of balls of mashed potatos with stuff on them - mostly mixed seafood salads. then a chicken stew.

Not sure. I think they are maybe 30% less than French winter truffles, so perhaps $80-100 an ounce. They are cheaper if you buy by the kilo.
smile.gif

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Our digs has a Wolf six burner, but lousy pots and pans. Horrible knives. But a decent wine fridge.
That's because they get stolen very frequently, by cleaning staff and tenants.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The highlight was the whelk...will post pics later. Our digs has a Wolf six burner, but lousy pots and pans.

Horrible knives. But a decent wine fridge.

- B

Champagne music? Lawrence, we hardly knew ye.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads