• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yeah, it's tough when you don't have a lot of time. We had only four nights so spent the entire time in Healdsburg exploring it and Sonoma. Still need another week there, then a few in Napa...Santa Barbara county...

yeah. frankly, this is going to be a food and bed vacation. once a year we get to leave the kids for a few days. last year it was new orleans. there is a lot to do/see/eat in san fran, I've been there a dozen or more times, my wife hasn't ever. so it will be hard to choose.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
kyle, how far are you out of SF? I am bringing the wife out for a short vacation in a few months, maybe April, and maybe we will drive out for a meal.

Globe, you should definitely come. As Pio said, it's a short drive. Only about on hour straight up 101 if you hit good traffic. And since it's your food vacation, this is really a great place. I mean, there's Cyrus, the French Laundry pretty close, other very good restaurants actually in Healdsburg, although none with national acclaim. SF and its huge restaurant culture is only an hour away, close enough for a dinner trip. It's really a great area to be in for a food lover.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Globe, you should definitely come. As Pio said, it's a short drive. Only about on hour straight up 101 if you hit good traffic. And since it's your food vacation, this is really a great place. I mean, there's Cyrus, the French Laundry pretty close, other very good restaurants actually in Healdsburg, although none with national acclaim. SF and its huge restaurant culture is only an hour away, close enough for a dinner trip. It's really a great area to be in for a food lover.

yeah, I need to discuss it with the missus, but the menu looks great. essentially, we need to decide how much we really want to do in SF. thanks

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
First, I forgot to say that TS, that was a damn fine looking piece of meat there! (no ****).

Thanks, I think.

samus

Reaction score
Bought a whole lot of produce the other day, so ratatouille and sauteed broc rabe go with a simple roast chicken.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Salad
frown.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Salad
frown.gif

With foie gras on top and a dressing made from silken tofu and foie gras?
devil.gif

KDubs... let's go to this and you can have a clam opening throw down with Preeti: "the show features a star-studded lineup of food and fashion TV celebrities, including [...] Preeti Mistry (Top Chef), and more.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dinner at Topalobombo

http://www.rickbayless.com/menu/layout?id=4

I had a mescal margeritta and then a mixture of two beers, a red rye beer and a lambic beer

sopa de panceta
and
sopa azteca (yeah, I know, two seperate soups, but I couldn't decide and my wife was having a 5 course tasting menu, so I had to have at least 3 courses)
and porco en clemole - good, but I was expecting the pork to be more carmalized. the pork itself was very good, and the sauce was very good, the sides excellent. but if the pork had been more carmalized I would have enjoyed it more. I almost took the duck, and now I wish I had
then
Delica "Tropical": coconut-lime pudding cake, Spence Farm wild-harvested paw paw ice (related to tropical cherimoya), young coconut ribbons.

and some very nice coffee

my wife had the 5 course tasting menu, with the wine pairings

something that I can't remember

: tender Viking Village sea scallop cocktail with blood orange juice & ancho chiles, crunchy jicama & grilled onions.

Tacos de Huitlacoche, Caldo de Jitomate: crispy rolled tacos filled with Three Sister's Garden huitlacoche (corn mushroom). Roasted tomato broth, crunchy pickled vegetables, avocado, Bayless Garden microgreens

Borrego en Salsa de Chile Guajillo y Pera: Crawford Farm lamb in pear-infused red chile sauce. Potato-apple tortitas (studded with Neuske's bacon), grilled frisee-mache salad with smoky Oaxacan pasilla dressing.

Platanos con Crema": Luscious vanilla sour cream layer cake with golden ripe plantains. Roasted banana ice cream, coriander crumble. (Wine pairing: 2005 Jorge Ordonez & Co. #2 "Victoria" Malaga, Spain)

very good meal. I think it might be the most I ahve ever spent on a meal that wasn't for business, but I am not sure, it might be number two. but a very good meal. not for every day, but we made reservations 4 months ago.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice GT!

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
dinner at Topalobombo

lucky you. ate there about 3 years back and did the tasting menu with wines.
drunk as a monkey leaving the place. was it that pricey? i don't remember it being OTT.

most expensive i have paid for myself was MOTO during the summer.
just got a reservation for schwa in feb... can't wait!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tropics
drunk as a monkey leaving the place. was it that pricey? i don't remember it being OTT.

really not that bad, but about $180 a head with tip (and the service was so good I put down about 22-25%), with wine and drinks. but I can only think of one meal that I have actually had to pay for, personnaly, that may have been more. I am not a big roller.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That's a tough reservation. But worth it.
Dinner at Schwa will change your life.

after last night we were actaully thinking that we would like to try schwa. never interested us before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads