1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hate the plating. Something very nineties about it. What restaurant is this?
    The nineties were a bad time for plating indeed. That torchon looks terribly done, IMO, assuming it is torchon.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm sure all of this was very good though and I would have loved to have that meal last night instead of the ikura-don and spider rolls.

3. Korben

Korben Senior member

I had a great Panini from a local restaurant. it was very simple great fresh made bread, prosciutto, and provolone. It was incredibly simple and probably the best sandwich I have had in several years.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Did some snacking with a bottle of wine. The three cool items were the pork belly confit I made a few weeks ago, the salami I smoked several weeks ago, and the fresh veggies I pickled last weekend. Eating all these things I made myself is very gratifying.

5. itsstillmatt

Chorizo with potatoes, potatoes brava, chicken croquettas, lobster paella, manchego toasts, ceviche, calamari grilled with olive oil. Lots of good shit.

6. tricota

tricota Senior member

The individual pieces may be tasty but it looks gross all mixed together that way.

+1. I am definitely not getting a happy feeling in my naughty place...

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

friday night I had 27 people for a vegetarian dinner - plaintain soup, baked pumpkin, corn curry in a coconut/cinimon ginger gravy, paneer dumplings in a safron cashew gravy, dhal, noodles in peanut sauce, persian 4 layered rice (with safron, tumeric, various dried fruits and nuts)

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

A bit of an eclectic dinner. Braised pork bellies, caramelized shallots, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh picked basil leaves, olive oil, balsamic and topped with my pickled veggies to add a little salt. Nice.

[​IMG]

9. gdl203

Is there a day where you don't eat pork, particularly pork belly, bacon or pork-based sausage? Even your vegetables often seem to be "enhanced" with bacon chunks...

Not hating on pork but seems like a lot of it

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Is there a day where you don't eat pork, particularly pork belly, bacon or pork-based sausage? Even your vegetables often seem to be "enhanced" with bacon chunks...

Not hating on pork but seems like a lot of it

Tomorrow night. Having dinner at the local JCC [​IMG] (no shit, btw).

Last Friday was all oysters on the half shell, cerviche, etc.

When I cook boring stuff, I probably just don't mention it.

11. gdl203

Tomorrow night. Having dinner at the local JCC [​IMG] (no shit, btw).
    I see... so you're loading up pre-emptively? [​IMG]

12. mfs

mfs Member

Annual cul-de-sac Cinco de Mayo party last night. I flew out to the Imperial Valley for Carne Asada and Pollo (chicken) Asada from Kennedy's Market in El Centro Calif. for 80 people. Carne Asada and/or Pollo Asada from either Kennedy's in El Centro or Ramey's Meats in Brawley, Calif is the best REAL Carne Asada and Pollo Asada you will ever have. I have no interest in either market but they do ship, in dry ice, all over this great country of ours. [​IMG]

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I see... so you're loading up pre-emptively? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It'll be something I walk away from hungry. These things tend to be carb heavy, so I'm phuqued. Thank god for whisky [​IMG]

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

It was a good night for dumpster diving. I'd poast a pic but I had to hock my camera.

15. ama

ama Senior member

[​IMG]

It'll be something I walk away from hungry. These things tend to be carb heavy, so I'm phuqued. Thank god for whisky [​IMG]

Why you doing that? Sounds yummy...[​IMG]

16. EnglishLapel

EnglishLapel Senior member

Chorizo with potatoes, potatoes brava, chicken croquettas, lobster paella, manchego toasts, ceviche, calamari grilled with olive oil. Lots of good shit.

Feeling Spanish matt...? Patatas bravas are so good, do you have any Iammatt Gastranomic Guidance [​IMG] for making the paella? Or was it jsut a usual meal?

17. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I just bought the Blue Ribbon (Bromberg Borthers, NYC) cookbook. I have had their paella at the restaurant. It is not a traditional paella (I think they may use long grain rice) , but it is really good tasting, if you want to tip-toe into paella making.

If you want to use short grain rice and not make a saffron and seafood risotto, you should really make sure you have an actual paella pan, or it just won't be right.

18. EnglishLapel

EnglishLapel Senior member

So, the long grain is less "authentic" than its shorter brother?

19. itsstillmatt

Feeling Spanish matt...? Patatas bravas are so good, do you have any Iammatt Gastranomic Guidance [​IMG] for making the paella? Or was it jsut a usual meal?
    I didn't cook it. It was at the new restaurant of an old friend. However, I make a fantastic paella. No real tips. It's pretty straight forward stuff.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Made lunch my major meal today. Garden greens salad with chicken breast, pine nuts, and Gorgonzola cheese.

Not a sliver of pork!